GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know a battery made for a micra, just dont cut it in the skylines!

So i desided to fit a proper one in mine!
The battery i bought is the most sold battery from the company i bought it from, and was actually half price of the mirca ones so you save money aswell :D
I also bought 2 batteryterminals to get rid of the japanese style ones.

Comparing the batterys, the old one is the one the car left the factory with! Not bad i guess

This aint going to fit. 2 options here, go to the scrapyard, and find one that will suit, ore do as i did, and make your own. you are going to need some powertools for this.

Start by removing everything in the boot, thats in its way. mine is extra crowded from the Surgetank, along with the rearseat!
Its mutch easyer to remove the 2 back bolts on the batterytray with it out.

First remove the sitting part, 2 visible bolts, and pull up! (they can be quite stuck in the plastic clips some times. For the backrest remove thease 2 bolts eatch side, and again, pull upwards and then out.

Remove the metalcover.

Then remove thease bolts.

The front sits with a little more, all marked with red cirkels

Pull the tray out of the car, now you can see why ive pulled it out in the first place. the battery blocks half the hole for the innerstud

Oval out the hole till the battery clears.

Now for the "tricky" part to make the topbracket. ive made mine out of 2mm think steel. there it 19,5 mm between the studholes, and an additional 2 cm on eatch side. you could ask a smith just to make one with thease measurements.

Now its important to make thease bends ore other types of reinforsements, otherwise, you will simply bend it when tightening the bolts

Now the battery should bolt nicely to the tray, and you can fit the tray, and battery.

As far as the connections, DO NOT! cut the wire just before the connection, they will simply become to short to reatch the terminals.
cut them up, and extract them without shotening them

Now for the drain.
i used the plastic bit from the old battery, but i had to reverse mont it.

Heat up the rubber just a bit, and you can easy get the hose over the "big" end

I glued mine in with a bit of enginesealer.

Mount everything back together in reverse order!

I cut up a movingblanket, and made a dubblelayer on top underneath the speakercover, along with stuffing it in everywere there were open holes to the cabin. the blankes are great for sound deatening, ive used the same around the shifter, to damp noice comming trough there.

The final product. now enjoy your superchanged startermotor! this really made a differense in speed!

Ronni

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nice writeup, I may follow this at some point. :)

One question though, can I ask how you put the bends into the bracket you made. Looks very tidy.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive got a "bendingmachine" that can take the 2 mm plate, it makes quite a nice finish.

you could make it quite wider, and hit it with a hammer around a corner, then trim it so it only has a small edge.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I used a small optima yellow top battery, straight fit and never goes flat.

But good on you for all the effort and how to guide.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't get it? I've got a big battery in mine and didn't have to make any mods at all?
are you able to fit it up agains the edge in the back?

the problem was, that the hole the stud comes trough was halfcovered by the new battery, i could have pulled it a bit forward to clear, but i like to do things properly :D

You also will have to make up the new bracket that keeps the battery in place.

Ronni

·
Registered
25,237 Posts
lol Mook, thats wires everywhere!

you know Ron doesnt roll like that!

Ron - i take my hat off to you Sir, you are mad for clean cars! and a talent considering your in your early 20s.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol Mook, thats wires everywhere!

you know Ron doesnt roll like that!

Ron - i take my hat off to you Sir, you are mad for clean cars! and a talent considering your in your early 20s.
I do my very best to keep the quality as high as possible :D
Quality over quantity..

thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Glad you posted up this NielsenRonie,

The Micra battery was one of the main reasons why my car got nicked.

They drain out in no time.

Definitely need a bigger battery. How about the terminals, I guess the wires need to be elongated as well to reach the much bigger terminals of the battery.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mook, coulden it have swapped the early models, and late models?

Sure aki must know this :D

Nigel, no need to do anything about the lenght of the wires, as long as you "open" the old terminals, and dont cut it over at the joint.

This "mod" really made a difference on my car! no more cuffing startermotor!

An other "issue" i think ppl are experiancing, is a lot of aftermarket shit on "standby"
in my experience, cheaper alerts, wrong mounted amplifiers, are a key issue when it comes to draining batterys.

i have 0 "drag" when the car is parked, on the other hand, i havent mounted my alert ore tracker yet.

Ronni

1 - 20 of 30 Posts