Al, (lightspeed) removed his the other day, all I remember is the straps that hold it on have bolts at the back that are a PITA, Al was saying to be careful of the straps as falty/rusty ones can be an MOT failure. I think its a 2 person job, oh and Al drained his first too.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE LOW/NO FUEL OR TANK WILL BE TOO HEAVY.
CAR ON JACK/AXLE STANDS or RAMPS IS NEEDED TO GET ACCESS TO EXHAUST COVER.
1a. Pull the fuel pump fuse and start car - it will cut out when fuel is consumed, then disconnect battery
1b. Make sure engine is cold, disconnect battery, undo both fuel hoses in the engine bay slowly so fuel can leak out
1c, undo fuel filter, put on a long temporary hose into a plastic jerry can and turn ignition on to pump fuel out.
2. Remove boot mat, undo 4 screws over fuel pump, lift off cover. Disconnect electrical connectors, disconnect fuel hoses. NOTE THE fuel hose going away from the tank is the pressurised line and needs a good quality screw connector.
3. Under right guard, remove the fuel hose protector plate, then the single screw that holds the filler tube and earth cable.. Loosen off one of the hose connectors so the hose can rotate. Pop fuel lid and push on the centre of the fuel cap - the hose will pop back. Leave fuel cap on.
4. Underneath car, undo the nuts that hold the exhaust muffler pipe heat shielding in place. You probably cant remove this if you have a non-standard exhaust. Leave the exhaust brackets alone.
5. Undo the rear two strap connectors. One is a bolt, the other is a nut, both are 17mm sockets. Use a 12 inch extension bar. Leave the front two straps in place, the straps will flex easily.
6. Drop the tank down and undo the fuel breather tube going back to the car.
7. Tank is now out. Dust it off it will have loads of gravel and dirt on the upper side. Degrease your diff if you want. Remove the heat shield, and remove the filler hose and inside that the metal insert.
8. Put a rag over the hoses still attached to the car, go up to engine side and use a low pressure compressor or your lungs to blow the fuel back out. Then flush with carbie cleaner, and blow out again.
9. Drain remaining fuel, remove fuel tank sender cover, wash with fresh hi-octane fuel, jiggle it and leave it upside down to dry out.
10. Put fuel tank sender cover back on, note that all the rubber seal goes inside the tank.
11. Fit heat shield roughly in place.
12. Reassembly is reverse order, connect breather hose first then lift. Make sure you jiggle the tank to try and get it back in position using straps as a guide. Use a jack on very low pressure to hold it in place. Do each nut/bolt up only a bit at a time to make sure u have it positioned correctly. Make sure you connect the earth strap to the fuel filler tube. Put some fresh fuel in tank, reconnect engine bay, put ignition on to test pressures before finishing up. :chairshot