GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on how to remove the headlight covers for cleaning chaps ???

Had a good look around them but nothing obvious, dont wanna break anything by being over enthusiastic (in other words getting angry:chuckle: )

Cheers,

Gurj :squintdan

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Are you sure it requires cleaning on the inside?

If so, then you'll need to remove the metal clips, and maybe heat it up with a heat gun to soften the glue, and prise it apart. Some people even put them in the oven for a while...

Not a job for the faint hearted thats for sure.

I'm sure this has been covered before on here....maybe do a search.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure it requires cleaning on the inside?

If so, then you'll need to remove the metal clips, and maybe heat it up with a heat gun to soften the glue, and prise it apart. Some people even put them in the oven for a while...

Not a job for the faint hearted thats for sure.

I'm sure this has been covered before on here....maybe do a search.
Did a search and found nothing so had a quick look on SOC and yep its a terrible job to undertake from what i gather so instead used some wax to wax the covers up then cleaned and wiped and a very good result very clean !!!

Cheers :smokin:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks peeps,

Been T-cutting the car today anyways so did the lights too, came out quite nice actually, saved me prating about with the lights and all !!! :bowdown1:

Added pics to the title "R33 GTR MIDNIGHT PURPLE" in members rides section,

cheers,

Gurj

·
Registered
704 Posts
20 mins at 80 degree in oven warms the glue up just fine. did it on mine when i converted to LhD lights
I've been told 50 degrees is enough for the job.
I was planning on having a go soon myself.

Cleaning the outside made my lights look a hell of a lot better (I used Plast-X), but I've seen a pair that had been taken apart & they looked flawless.
I had a go at the tail-lights as well - couldn't really tell the difference, but at least I know it has been done.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I took mine to bits ages ago and got great results......
these things don't need much time or heat at all.......
50 degrees for 8 mins i think!
anymore than that and the black casing gets soft and makes them harder to separate.......

let them cool before you clean otherwise the t-cut doesn;t work as well.

Put both halves back into the oven to suitably warm the mastic for a few mins before reassembly......
ensure the mastic is evenly coated to ensure they reseal properly, then squeeze together and re-clip them.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I have the same job to do on my back lights, Im assuming its the same procedure...

I used to clean my headlamps with t-cut, then I would spray them with silicone, this seemed to help. One of my headlamps was new, and it made the other one look grotty. Doesnt matter now as I have removed the covers completely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts