GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new drag project :p this car is getting stripped for parts, and up in for sale section soon!

i thought i wanted to give it a go, and see how good i could DIY it :D

What i bought/ got from my paintshop

wet grit 800. you can start from 500 if the lights are ruff.
wet grit 1000
wet grit 2000
wet grit 3000 trizact (3M product)

and some fine polishing compound and obviusly a machine.

Before picture:

Start at the 800 grit, and dont worry about how mutch it scratches, just get it even! wash the light for every 2 mins ore so, and get the dirt off the light.

the light will become "frozen" check its all even, and no big scrathes are vesible.

go trough the steps, and finsh off with the special trizact paper.

the light will loose the frozen look, and finish off with a polish, you can give it some high revs, just make sure i doesent get hot! i used a fine polishing compound from wurth.

The result:

And a comparison, i did the left one first.

Ron

·
Registered
69 Posts
Couple of quick questions...

What do you mean 'a machine', and secondly how long would you budget to get this done for an amateur who hasn't done it before?

Mine look cloudy... but lights are important, so I need to make sure I finish it, not only get half way through!

·
Registered
944 Posts
i believe you have to spry them with some clear coat because off the uv lights!

or else it mite not last long!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kociek newer lights have U-v coating, however the skyline lights dont, so no need for protection, and if they get a bit "cloudy" after some time, you could simply give them a quick buff by hand even

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couple of quick questions...

What do you mean 'a machine', and secondly how long would you budget to get this done for an amateur who hasn't done it before?

Mine look cloudy... but lights are important, so I need to make sure I finish it, not only get half way through!

get some 3m masking tape, so you dont need to disasemble anything.
the 2 lights took me about 20 mins to do. so with masking and on, 1 hour should do it.

Ron

·
Registered
944 Posts
Kociek newer lights have U-v coating, however the skyline lights dont, so no need for protection, and if they get a bit "cloudy" after some time, you could simply give them a quick buff by hand even
i haven't realize that :thumbsup:

only said that because i was thinking in to do that in my r34 xenons and someone give me a big NO :blahblah:

fair play to you!if you can do it in yours, saved you big £££ and it looks brilliant the work you have done to to theme even if you have to do them once in a wile :squintdan:thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
sometimes u win sometimes not

Here where we live in the blazing sun of africa this some times works and some times doesnt depends on how bad the plastic is, in some cases its more the the first few mm's and ends up being a botch to get clear.
On head lights that have surface imperfections this works a dream.
Including the turtle wax kit and also the meguires (SP) plastic polish does some nice work too.
In short the finish must always be done with the finest compound or grit to get that nice clear reflective "mirror like " finish .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks good .

I just give mine a clean with some good polish a few times a year , they come up just as good using mer polish or a good cutting compound on cloth .

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
recently did this on a 33 with yellowing headlights. Used meguires ultimate compound and a cloth, with elbow grease they came out looking like new. Made a hell of a difference.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts