GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some headlights that I want to sand the inside of the glass on. I am trying to get rid of the reflector lines so the glass is completely smooth. I was thinking about starting with an 80 grit on a small air belt sander and some water, then just upping the grit until it's smooth and finally polishing the glass.

I just don't want to damage the glass. Anyone got any pointers?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i'm convinced 80 is a tad on the rough side , using that i think you'd struggle to sand and polish out the scratches you've made by using 80 grit !
tbh i dont know which # you need but better safe than sorry so maybe start with something like 800, if its too light give 600 a try and so on
and then work your way up to polishing

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I was just reading some glass sanding stuff and they all start at 800 then get into the 1000's. I'll start at 800 wet and give it some time. Only reason I was thinking so low is because of the amount of material that I've got to remove. The ridges in the glass are about 1 to 2 mm waves that I want to level out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my stone wheel on my dremel is working great so far for taking bulk material off.

after this I'll sand it smooth, then polish polish polish...

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Just out of interest, why are you doing this?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,193 Posts
No, I didn't want a car that big or heavy so I stayed away from R33's and BMW's :D

It's a 2.8L BNR32
I think the covers in the pic of the blue R32 are actually aftermarket clear items. I think RHD sell them. When I looked they were silly money.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they sell them and they are commonly available, I just wanted to spend 30 minutes and grind and sand them and polish them as opposed to paying the 150-200 dollars that they go for on YAJ.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts