any one got broadband?
dumb qustion i know
but whats the sort of time saved on the down loading of stuff
eg music /vids

cheers

·
Registered
326 Posts
amazing, don't know how people cope with a 56k modem, a 30 minute download can take about 5 mins if that, pages are there instantaneous as well, no waiting around at all, trouble is it makes you very impatient if you are on a computer which doesn't have it.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
I just installed a broadband connection at home and it is simply awesome! I save so much time compaed to a normal 56k modem its not even funny. If you can, do it!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I ave had it for about 8 months and cant think how I managed without it.

I had a few teething problems, but all resolved

Also very happy seeing the price just came down:)

Downloading a Beatles clip at the mo (dont ask) 30MB 6.5 min :)

A Divx Film is normally around 2 hours 700MB

·
Registered
592 Posts
Divx is a compression system that is almost the same quality as a DVD - but makes them so small they can fit on a normal CD.

The downside is you need a PC to run them so its fine if you have a TV out or if your happy to watch them on the monitor.

There are a few other ways the best being with a Dreamcast but this needs to be a pre a December one, for the boot disk to work oh and you need to recompress at a lower level.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Dino,

Hi, you can use KaZaA or Win MX.
The speed of the connection is much faster in Japan than in the UK, so you can enjoy DivX.
8Mb is usual in Japan now, and 500k is in the UK.

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Dino,

ShareReactor and E-donkey are good sources too.
You should have let me know you were into that sooner

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use a cable modem from NTL and it's superb. It's nowhere near those Japan speeds but at 512kbps download and 128kbps upload it's a hell of a lot faster than 56k. If you use the net more than once a week then it's a no brainer :)

The only problem I've had is that NTL customer support is really flakey. So long as the modem is working then it's great but if you have a problem don't expect a quick fix.....

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I have a cable modem from Blueyonder, same speeds as NTL. I absolutely refuse to use anything lower than ISDN now - unless I'm on site in which case I don't have a choice :(

I actually managed to uncap my cable modem to get download speeds of 5Mbit (about 600kb/sec) and uploads of 1.5Mbit (about 150kb/sec)* - which just goes to show how much bandwidth actually gets to your house. Telewest, for reasons only known to themselves, cap the download/upload speed at the cable modem end - and it's fairly trivial to crack if you have a rudimentary knowledge of the DOCSIS protocol, TFTP servers and IP.

Being a person of sound morals I informed Telewest of the problem and am now running my cable modem back at its original 512/138 speed. :(

* Allegedly, in case Telewest lawyers are watching

·
Registered
326 Posts
Durzel,

Just started to read your post, I was thinking interesting, as I am no computer tech, thought I would get some mates on the case, then I read the next bit :( That's Big Brother for you.

There is no contest as you said if you use the internet a bit, you would normally get huge phonebills anyway, this way you are online 24/7 all for £25 a month (Blueyonder, Telewest), and get a couple of extra lines, so you are not hogging the main house line.

Now that I know what speed broadband is in Japan, I will be pressing Telewest to up the connection :p

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I am going to be phoning NTL shortly as i now have my new PC fully functional / setup how i want it.

As a starter, i'll be going for the 128 connection...then i'll look into going up to the 512 connection (i'm only on a 33.6 modem at the mo anyway). They've been testing the 1mb line in Kent recently, and i've seen from the ntlhome site that they are now offering this to everyone....

Make sure you've got a good firewall though - a mate of mine had his PC (well actually it's his old mans) ruined through not having a good firewall....."format C:" and start again time :(

Fortunately i've got a copy of ZoneAlarm downloaded and waiting to be installed.

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
326 Posts
Daz Gti-R,

Yes I too use Zone Alarm, it is quite frightening what it blocks, I will come on somedays and it has 40 blocked attemps at access to the computer :( and it is a free download as well.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Bean....you'll have to e-mail me the url for those file transfer programs:)

The best thing about this broadband system I'm usung is that it uses the same line as your phone. You just fit a splitter, basically a band pass filter, that allows you to use the phone at the same time as the computer. I'm having a few problems with noise at the moment, but NTT has told me that this can be sorted out by using noise filters that stop the hissing on voice calls.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Simon H....please tell me more about Zone alarm....does work with Macs? I disconnect my computer when not using it for fear of unwanted visitors!

·
Registered
326 Posts
DCD,

It is a free download from the Net. http://www.zonealarm.com/ I am not sure if it is mac as well, if not a search for a mac firewall, it would save you disconecting, because what you must remember as soon as reconnect "unwanted visitors" have access whether you are sitting there or not, you can set the level of security to your liking, to allow certain things in, like software updates etc. I wouldn't do with out it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Simon: I expect that all of those 40 alerts came from your ISP, so nothing to worry about :D I've had Zonealarm for sometime and I've had it tested on sites which 'simulate' a hack and ZA has passed with flying colours! I suggest you get a firewall if you have broadband ... A faster connection means quicker hacking :eek:
Just for the record I've had 500 alerts after setting up a Half-Life: TFC server, but none threatening...

The 128k/s connection is ISDN, which, pricewise isn't far off ADSL anymore. ISDN is usually used by businesses for the reason being that it can be networked across many computers, unlike ADSL ... BT ADSL is now only £30/month :p

I'm running BT ADSL at the moment and I've had no problems so far ... However I do get download speeds of up to 610K/s and not 512K/s. It all depends on how many ppl in your area are using the ADSL service at the same time and how close you are to a major BT server, such as the one located in London ... These factors don't make too much of a difference though, but on somedays you can tell when your connections running slow ...

Anyway that's my 2p's worth!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts