GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

I fitted a new set of hpi elbows to my new -5s and when I went to fit my trust downpipe today it wouldn't align :(

Auto part Pipe Automotive fuel system Engine Vehicle

has anyone come across this issue before? anyone has an hpi elbows and if so what downpipe did you use?

also does anyone know if these elbows have a rear turbo/front turbo designation? couldn't find anything in the manual.

pls help... this is the last bit I need to do before firing up the car which has been sitting idle for the last 2 months.. dammit...

thanks
A

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Outlets for front and rear turbos are different. It seems like you mixed them up.
Look here:

Look how it was set up on my engine (HPI elbows):

I have a Midori Seibi downpipe.

Andrey

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right, looks like I have screwed it up big time! thanks for the info.

I just hope I can remove the elbows without having to remove the turbos

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
but possible? I really want to avoid removing turbos if possible
Everything is possible. I saw people changing heads on installed engine. But it's crazy. I would remove exhaust manifolds with turbos mounted, changed elbows and put them back. Top nuts can be removed from above, low ones from the bottom. That's what I did changing turbos. Much easier and less pain.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well this is just initially to start up the engine and make sure things are running fine. I have plans for a blitz, hks or mines downpipe

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andrey,

I checked the O2 sensor positions on both pipes and it appears that the rear pipe sensor is angled away from the block and facing the side....and front pipe sensor is vertical straight on top of the pipe.

Is this the right position for both pipes?

It seems from your picture of your engine, mine looks the same...can you please confirm?

thank you

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Andrey,

I checked the O2 sensor positions on both pipes and it appears that the rear pipe sensor is angled away from the block and facing the side....and front pipe sensor is vertical straight on top of the pipe.

Is this the right position for both pipes?

It seems from your picture of your engine, mine looks the same...can you please confirm?

thank you
I put them a long time ago and it's hard for me to remember details. If you took exhaust manifolds with turbos mounted from the engine, it's easy to check using your downpipe what elbow must be front or back.
If you are doing it in the engine bay, just change their positions (front becomes rear and rear becomes front). That's it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
well this is just initially to start up the engine and make sure things are running fine. I have plans for a blitz, hks or mines downpipe
The problem is there will be a "step" between the elbow and downpipe. I don't think it's good for gas flow. The elbow is 76.3mm in diameter and downpipes you mentioned are 70mm at best and exhaust coming from larger diameter hits a "step" of 6.3mm (3.15 each side). It may be insignificant but I think it will disturb the flow. In what way these parasitic gas currents will affect performance, nobody knows. Anyway it would be better to use 2x76.3 into 90mm downpipe. That's what I have.

Andrey

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Had alignment issues with mine in the past aswell and went for a different set in the end as I just wanted the car on the road again!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Only thing you can do really is remove the turbos loosen the exhaust housings and rotate them to close the gap up

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The problem is now sorted, the old downpipe was not standard. I took down my Mines front pipe and it fitted straight on, so Mervyn did get the turbo and its elbow orientation correct. He was a super happy chap and the relief on his face :D

Who ever built the engine or fitted the old GTSS turbos with HKS elbow got it back to front and seems like they modified the old down pipe realising their mistake.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts