GTR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who’s running a HKS triple plate clutch? I am in the position to obtain one for my car which is a R34 GTR I will be running about 600 BHP and wanted some feedback about this clutch.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Very on-off and forget it in traffic or hill starts!
Lived with mine for a few years as it was already in the car. Running same power as you so needed to be a tripple when you look at the ratings.
I ended up blowing my OS box so took the opertunity while it was out to change to an OS tripple.

So easy to drive now. Wish I had done it years ago.

Advice would be consider what you do with your car. If your big into drag racing then it's ideal for full bore launches. If it's a daily driver avoid it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I run a HKS tripple in my R32 Drag car which i also use as a daily driver :D its all good to be honest, just a case of getting used to it i suppose. Most of my cars have run an uprated clutch of some sort but i was very suprised at how useable on the road this clutch was even in traffic :D obviously its harder to use but once u know what to expect you just get on and drive. Hope this helps dude:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Very on-off and forget it in traffic or hill starts!
My experience as well. I've had 3 different triple plate clutches in my R34. First HKS - not happy. Then OSG triple - much better but a little heavier than I thought it should be. Then ATS Triple Carbon - perfect for street.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I've run the HKS triple for several years. (The HKS twin at 600bhp will slip) .It's true the triple is very much on/off when set up with the sprung cylinder rod and can be a right pain at traffic lights neading either a full on launch or a tickover pull away to avoid bogging. I did put up with it though because it refused to wear out and took any amount of abuse on the strip and to a certain extent I did eventually get used to it on the road.

However when we last had the gearbox out we renewed the plates, changed to a solid adjustable rod coming out of the slave cylinder and made some careful adjustments to pedal and thrust bearing clearances. This made a huge difference It is now a completely transformed clutch and much less on/off and seriously not that different in operation to a normal clutch.

Mine is the unsprung hub, which I think yours is, which is harder on the gearbox, I'd like to try a sprung hub sometime. Oh and they are rattly and noisy in case you didn't know at tickover in neutral what with the gearbox rattle as well they sound like a bag of spanners.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
don't go twin plate !! Nitemare on - off, you won't like traffic and I was told that a triple would have been better

·
Registered
140 Posts
don't go twin plate !! Nitemare on - off, you won't like traffic and I was told that a triple would have been better
A friend of mine had an HKS twin in his 34 GTR and it was almost as nasty as the quad in his race car!
However - I have an OS twin in my car and its perfectly driveable and doesnt slip at 605 bhp, although admittedley I dont make a habbit of drag launches.
I think the driveability thing has as much to do with the diameter of the clutch and if the plates are sprung or not.

·
Registered
197 Posts
ive had hks triple in mine for the last four years and you do get used to it to an extent,but as has been said very on/off and really spoils the expereince of driving around town.im having a nismo super coppermix twin fitted on friday so should be a happy chappy,but its probably close to its limit at the power your running.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys i know the OS Giken and Carbonetics clutch’s seem to be the best all round clutches. I am just going through a full engine rebuild at the moment and can get this clutch at a reasonable price so i am fitting the triple plate HKS for the mean while this will have to do and later change it to a Carbonetics twin plate. I will just have to get used to the on and off clutch unless I can make the same adjustment as blue34 did so it’s easier to use on the road. My car is a road car which is used occasionally so it’s not too much of a problem.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have a twin plate hks in my 34 and its grand to use, had a triple in my supra before and i hated it in traffic and on hills lol

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Ask Sparks about his car, it has the HKS tripple and personally I found it great, so easy to drive, definatly not on/off at all, maybe the extra torque of the RB30 helped but I can't see it being that much different on a 26.

Rob

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shane I hope the skyline triple plates are different to the Supra and Im guessing it depends how the clutch is set up also?

thanks for your input Rob I have just read sparks build dairy what a car you produced :thumbsup: :bowdown1: great piece of kit. I have sent sparks a PM for his feedback on the clutch.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Nismo twin plates are very good better than standard, but im unsure if it can take that power.
I've got a Nismo twin plate and it's fine, never had an issue and it's just a bit heavier than stock.

Drove a Supra with a HKS tripple and it was literally a switch. Wouldn't want one as a daily driver.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sparks has given it the thumbs up and said its not to harsh and it does give you a little warning before biting point. just waiting for my clutch to turn up now. :confused:

thanks for the input everyone will update everyone with my view on it once iv run my car in and tested it properly.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a little update on the clutch, it was fitted and it was a total DOG to drive even after adjusting the pedal, my mechanic suggested shorting the clutch slave cylinder rod so i looked into it and realised that HKS done a rod for this clutch (which i didn’t get with the kit?) after ordering and fitting it, its a lot better now its defiantly a on/off clutch but isn’t as bad with the new springy HKS rod. The spring rod made a hell of a difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts