GTR Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
When it was bone stock I ran my car on a 4w hub dyno, did a few pulls in awd then pulled the fuse and pulled it in 2wd.
was 179 wkws in awd and 184 in 2wd
weird eh.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Did you find the front hubs were still turning slowly?
If you'd removed the front driveshaft so there was no connection between the transfere case and the front hubs you might have measured a slightly higher 2wd whp figure.

If it jumped to say 10whp difference, on a stocker the % difference between 2wd and 4wd is still starting to come up though.

Be interesting to back to back on a hub dyno with removing the front shaft on a 600-800hp GTR to see the difference, my bet is it would be quite a big difference.

Rob

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Flywheel power guestimates are a waste of time. Unless you get you engine taken out to confirm it you will never know for sure if the guestimate is accurate.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Fair point :D

It's all rubbish anyway, apart from back to back tests showing the results of mods etc. Any more than that is just willy waving ;)

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Or weigh your car and go down the strip, the mph you get can be very accurate at measuring whp if you get a clean run.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,172 Posts
Point taken, but depending on tuner, you can have 60bhp Fly figure difference on a GTR, can't believe dyno's are that inaccurate :)
Without opening a whole new can of worms I saw a 'discussion' between two competing dyno sellers discussing outputs of their various systems at the back wheel of motorbikes (so absolute figures were relatively small but obviously little variance in the methodology - RWD!). The exchange left me in no doubt that you wouldn't see the same result from the two different systems.

As ever the mantra seems to be - only really accurate for measures relative changes in short time periods!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Or weigh your car and go down the strip, the mph you get can be very accurate at measuring whp if you get a clean run.
Good point or you could just cut out the middle man and just run it down the strip who cares what power it produces the performance is what most people want , who would want a car with a 600hp dyno print out that runs 13's

41 - 52 of 52 Posts