GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little bit of background on this:
Just after christmas, i invested quite a lot of moolah in my car along with a set of steel recored turbo's which were fully recond by Oen Developments.
Everything was going perfect up until about 1500-2k km's when i noticed that the engine was down on oil (no visible smoke at this stage). After the first scheduled service (15w50mobil1), the smoke issue had gotton so bad that i could'nt see behind me at times!:eek:
The smoke is pure white, with a tinge of blue at times and is most noticible on idle when the engine is warmed up. When taking off from a static position it's also heavily smoking but as the revs and speed pick up it doesent seem to smoke as much.
There is still no let up in the power when it's on boost, but i have noticed that it's taking an extra 500rpm (near3500-4000) to hit full boost (1.2bar) in second gear.
I've contacted Owens who advised me that all seals, rings and internals were replaced. 360degree roller bearings with a nissan core installed. Standard ceramic wheels were replaced with steel ones and the turbo's were fully balanced.
The oil pump(N1) is running 6bar pressure on idle. The pressure drops to around 4bar(ish) when cruising at slow speeds.
All boost pipes on intake side are clean with no oil smear.
Breather pipes seem to be free.
A compression test and oil leak down test were conducted and results were very healthy.
So, are my turbo seals gone to poop, and if so, will installing oil restrictors solve the problem?......
I will take a vid and some pictures this weekend. Going to remove the downpipe and see if both turbo's are leaking oil.

If anyone has encountered anything like this before, please post your experience's and/or solutions.

Cheers,
Kev.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
White smoke is normally related to a water problem??
I very much doubt it is a water problem. The smoke coming from the exhaust stinks of oil.
Water levels are perfect.
Expansion tank on the rad is normal with no discoloured liquid.
When car is warmed up there is no bubbles coming up through the rad.
All oil temps, pressures levels seem perfect.

At this stage im thinking it has got to be turbo oil seals.
Has anyone evr had this problem and if so, would fitting restrictors be the cure .......
I have the invoice from Owens and the turbo's are still within warranty as i have covered less than 12,000 miles since they were installed.
Will post a vid of the exhaust smoke up later.

First post edit: Oil pressure once started is 6bar, but then decreases gradually to 3bar.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Just remove the "twin turbo" pipe and the turbo inlets and when the tubby's are leaking oil you'll see just as well on the inlet side.
Much easier...
And I'm thinking that if they leak oil already because of high oil pressure that the damage is done and they're on their way out.
But it won't hurt to check if they already got oil restrictors in them and if not to put some in ;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, i took the boost pipes off at the weekend.
All the pipes are spotlessly clean. Definately no oil leakage on the inlet side.
They dont have oil restrictors in the at the moment;)
Funny though, at less than 2000km's usage you'd think they'd still have a bit of life in them:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts