GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm going to wave here because I have a very dirty attraction to the 3.5h in the Infiniti Q50, which some know as a Skyline if its wearing its other set of badges in Japan

I personally think Nissan missed a trick not having the new Z with a 3.5h as an option for countries with strict emissions like UK and Europe. Its a good engine and goes well with just over 350hp and extra torque from the hybrid motor, hence my personal dirty attraction to it.

The thought of a hybrid VR38 was discussed in the form of Infiniti Project Black S that officially has still not been confirmed or denied if it will ever happen. I occasionally make comments about it on Infinitis LinkedIn page.

The Gran Turismo game has the 2020 concept, I do believe from a specifications front it's a 3 hybrid motor setup.

I have always said that a hybrid turbo vr38dett would be nuts if it came to fruition.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a hybrid R35 would be great, it's already a heavy car that's been engineered to perform despite its weight. Additional weight to "torque fill" and generally just roll around in silence with something that has quite menacing performance would be fantastic.

I wonder how many years away we are from aftermarket hybrid conversions to existing ICE cars...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As battery technology gets better I have no doubt an retrofit will be possible. Think about it, there are older cars being turned into EV's already. With the capability of aftermarket ECU's developing, adding a batter and a few motors will be as simple as adding ethanol. Battery tech needs to move on though.

·
Vendor
2,902 Posts
Think about it, the engines sat as far back as possible and likewise on the box to give as near neutral point as possible.

where you putting the batteries and motor?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where does the battery and motors go relative to their ICE counterpart for example in a Mclaren Artura compared to a 570s?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Batteries are placed centrally with a motor in the front. We might get to see how Nissan packages a the VR38 with a R36 next year but I assume it will be something similar.

·
Vendor
2,902 Posts
Where in a Gtr shell can you mid mount batteries?

The hybrid System also needs to be cooled, an area where gtr’s have struggled from day one.

·
Registered
905 Posts
They are in the boot of the Infiniti's.
Q50 was a good example, you lost some of it in comparison to the diesel and non hybrid variants.
The 3.5h is AWD, battery is about 2k to replace but should last around 8-10 years.

I can't remember for sure but again the 3.5h didn't run for very long at all on battery only.
Gearbox layout is different, engine is N/A and it still uses a wiper motor for hicas, steering can take a bit of adjusting to, besides that nice place to be and it's what swung me to be a little more optimistic and open minded.

I personally am all for using hybrid technologies for more power, however that is something I believe is pretty hard for the aftermarket tuning side of Q50 3.5h, from what I gather you are limited at catback exhaust before it starts having kittens.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Where does the battery and motors go relative to their ICE counterpart for example in a Mclaren Artura compared to a 570s?
Behind the drivers and passengers seats, low down under what’s known as “electrical city” (fuse box, ecus, etc).

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
The new cashcow e power coming out next year uses a 156 hp variable compression engine as a generator, a small battery and has a 190hp electric motor. Maybe the hybrid GTR will use the engine as a generator and have 4 of those motors....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts