GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetical question

I have been reading a couple of thread on the pros and cons of buying a big power Skyline from a UK private seller or a fresh import from Japan. Now my question is what is to stop you doing the below and does it make financial sense.

Travel to Japan commission an English speaking agent to purchase the vehicle of your choice from an auction.
Rather than shipping the vehicle home, have it delivered to the tuner of your choice for the required work then ship it home.

The rational is you could buy a blank canvas.
Spend the cash on a good rebuild and any other parts you require (cheaper than the UK)
Have the vehicle shipped home pay the taxes on the auction purchase price + shipping and no duty on all the shiny bits inside.

You get the car of your choice with the mods for your choice, you know the history of the work and who carried it out.

Yes I know there are a lot of variables in this cunning plan, and I might be talking utter B*****ks but what do you think?

·
Registered
553 Posts
HHmmmmm got potential but it depends on the age of the car as vehicles under 10 years old have to go through a rigorous SVA which as far as I know means getting the car back to standard spec for a comparison with a model report? you would need to have all the standard parts to put back in when you get to the uk

Sev

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
In theory yes but once the car is purchased at auction it is locked in a compound for export only and is no longer a JDM car so you cannot get any work done to it in Japan. Not so sure if that is the case with a private purchase and then a request to be exported?

·
Registered
598 Posts
i think it might fly (for cars over 10yrs), i know the car gets bought from auction and is kept at agent place before going to docks, so shouldn't be a problem to transport to tuner, have work done and then shipped over, bear in mind that the docks here do not not have the best rep. for keeping cars intact and some of your goodies might go walkabout but thats true for any imports.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts