GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The current thinking is that while SO3's are good, the SO2s were excellent..

Jonny at Bookatrack has managed to find me a set of 18" SO2s for my R34 -- yay !

Not cheap at £240 a corner (fitted), but well worth it I reckon for the prodigious grip in wet + dry.

Give him a call if you want some for yours.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
SO2's/SO3's

SO2's better than SO3's?

Now I'm really confused.There have been many threads on tyres and I think the final result was that the SO3's was a better all round tyre!

I will probably need some tyres soon and I was going to go for SO3's,Toyo's,or F1's.Still haven't decided!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think out of the currently available tyres the SO3s are the best, but reports/reviews both scientific and "touchy-feely" have found they're not as good as the outgoing SO2s

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
"reports/reviews"

Purely out of interest, which ones are these? I've got my own views having gone from SO2s to SO3s but it would be interesting to read other peoples opinions....

·
Banned
349 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have dinner recently with a Bridegstone engineer who worked on the development of the SO2's and SO3's and is currently working on derivatives of the SO3 and potential successors that will be launched in years to come.

This subject always makes me laugh (and him too). It comes down to compound:

and put simply the compounds avaliable when the SO2 where developed are not as advanced across the whole temperature ranges as the SO3's.

His words where:

Do you really think a company like Bridgstone would spend north of $700 million on R & D and then spend another fortune on marketing launching a tyre that is inferior to the outgoing SO2???

He said in their rigerous tests it out performed the SO2 in every area, especially the toughness of the side wall which is used alot when understeering.

Anyway, you only have to look at the lap times of F1 cars over the years to prove the point, and, think about this: If the F1 teams where allowed to use any tyre they wished the lap times would fall across the board by about 5 seconds!!

Tyre's make a huge difference to any car, especially the Skyline, so choose carefully...........

Jamie.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Simon de Banke, the guy famed for holding the driving sideways record (2+hours or something) also does tyre testing for major manufacturers.

He posted a thread about SO2 / SO3 comparisons on his website http://www.scoobynet.co.uk

Unfortunately, the sites search function is erm, not functioning so I can't find the thread I'm afraid.

I'll keep looking !

Many Scooby owners are eagerly awaiting the SO4, which are considered to be the true replacement for the SO2

It wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer has released a replacement which is inferior.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Just a quick question guys. Are semi-slicks legal in the UK. I saw a picture of Shins R34 on Cem's site and I noticed he still had the BS RE540S he had here before he left. I mean the Lotus 340R has those Advan A048(I think?!)
I know it would be a really bad idea with the UK weather and everything.....but I was just wondering. :)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
S-02

I also recently bought some S-02 Pole Positions - the only caveat I'll offer is that you're driving on obsolete tyres. When you need to repace one (as I do - don't trust the puncture repair), they're difficult to get hold of...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for finding the thread Peter (and boy, what a thread it is, if you can spare the time to read it)

I'd be interested to know your views.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
SO 2 's

Not sure I should tell you this Weka,but after all that I have just bought a set of SO2's for the princely sum of £137 per corner ,from Elite Tyres in Rainham ,inc. fitting ! I only went in to buy a set of locking wheel nuts for my car and i thought I'd do a little research into tyre prices for I will need a set soon ! After enquiring why they were so 'cheap' I was told this was a last set on 'speacial' they wanted to unload.Well I bought them then and there ! They have not been fitted as yet ,for I want to 'kill' my RE10's first before I start on them !
See you on Sunday !

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Paul.GTR34

Paul,

Funny you should tell me about the SO2's. Were you suppose to tell someone else instead? Incidently I was offered a set of SO2's for £125 each by my local garage as they were also their last ones but I declined as I ordered a set of SO3's and going to fit them later this morning.

Rgds

Vincent

·
Registered
65 Posts
SO2's Vs SO3's

For what its worth I have just replaced a set of so2's for so3's on an R33. having now done about 1000m on them thoughts are of more progressive brakeaway in the wet and about the same grip in the dry. Steering feel is probably slightly better but the real test will only come after the new tyres are half to 3/4 worn at which point I found the so2's went off very quickly, probably due to the tyres cooking themselves, being unable to dissipate the heat fast enough.
So far the SO3's win.
Rgds,
Max

1 - 17 of 17 Posts