GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had my hks twin plate clutch fitted recently. everythings cool from 2nd gear onwards, but pulling away in 1st gear is tricky to say the least.
the car has done around 300 miles on this new clutch. the biting point is 'abrupt' to say the least, however, its so light to get in and out , its nice in that respect.
the biting point seems to vary by a fraction at times, resulting in either judder or smooth, but slow, getaway. when i say slow, i mean around 3 secs to get going properely.

at the moment, i set it around 2-3krpm, very gently let the clutch out, and most of the time will pull away ok, but slowly.

what i want though, is to be able to pull away quickly without 'bolting' forward etc.

someone has suggested a 'giken'(?) clutch, but seeing as the clutch is new, i'm reluctant to shell out anymore on a different one.
can the clutch be adjusted to make it a little more user friendly? anyone got a better suggestion for a quicker(but not manic) get away?

as i say, once i'm rolling, the clutch is brilliant, no slip or anything. i'm practising with it, but its infuriating me at the moment, and i only use the car one day a week.

anyone got any tips/techniques the could share?

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Quick getaway

Hi there. Jon (wroestar) told me about a quick getaway. I think mit was Pentii Arikkala that told him about it. I will let Jon give you the details.
Dave

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
what happens if

You give it 6000 plus and then let the clutch go,?
Gary
GT-ART.CO.UK
THE FUTURETIVE

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
at the moment gary, if i go to 6k rpm and then let the clutch go, the car launches forward, my neck stretches by 2 feet, the violent jolt ends up making my foot jolt on the clutch/accelerator, and i bunny hop like a lunatic round the roundabouts:D

i really wish i was a better driver:(

i keep taking it to an unused road every sunday, and practise, but the biting point seems to keep varying a bit, cant work out why?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
SOUNDS FUN

but may br you have air in the hydrulic side of the clutch system or something like that
Gary

·
Registered
997 Posts
My HKS triple is lovely,but you will have to launch your car off the mark a few times to clean the dust out of the plates.If it`s that bad however then something needs sorting.

Henry.:smokin:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers guy and henry.
before the hks clutch, i had a helix organic clutch, which i thought was really nice. unfortunately it wasnt up to the job.
at the moment the hks one is like an 'on -off' switch. after how many miles did yours become a little more civilised?
whats this dust henry? is it like a coating or something?
if all else fails, and i cant get used to it, can the clutch be modified, or would i need to replace it?

when you start the car up, you can here it rattling. when you press the clutch peddle in, it gets much louder. is this normal?
there is no 'hissing' noise when the clutch is pressed in or out. my seat ibiza has a much firmer feel to it than this. again, is this normal, as i have no experience of this.

many thanks for your help and advice, its much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts