GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Last nignt, it was a cold night and me and my good friends were driving around Richmond (Below Sea Level| -1 or -3) I believe I drove my car to his place aka 30min drive, and got there and shut my car off. for some reason my Turbo Timer didn't start and it just shut off. After that 15-20min Watching TV/Joking around we wanted to go get food, We all got into our cars and drove away, I let my car warm up for 1-2min and then slowly drove out of the complex. After that I hit a stop sign, turned Right I hit 75% of the Throttle, and Poof, HUGE WHITE SMOKE. I insta' pulled over. Turned my car off. I go to turn it on, Checked my Oil/Rad Fluid/Oil Pres, all was normal after 15min of my car being off I turned it back on no smoke. as I was leaving the gas station to go back to my friends, I noticed when it hit tried to hit Boost, White Smoke.... I was worried. I could hear when it tried to get into boost, sounded like a computer fan made of metal spinning really fast.

Drove it 20 blocks under boost level, aka 2K RPM and shut her down...

1) I'm almost 100% that the turbo's are shot, what should I do.
2) If I have to replace Turbos - anyone got any Suggestions (Maybe Nice New ones :D more HP with Fuel Injectors :D anywho)

I have a 1990 NISMO GTR R32.

Thanks For Any Tips.

I just want her running again :(

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
At this moment in time I would be far more worried on whether or not you've sucked anything through the engine and done serious damage.

It was not a smart move to continue driving it regardless of low boost.
Get someone to whip the turbo pipes/turbo off and look at the damage and don't drive it.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem mate. On the turbo front I'm looking at Garrett 2860R-7 (sort of HKS GT-SS equivalent). They also do the -5 as well which is on a par with the HKS GT2530. Folks who have them seem to rave about them which can only be a good sign.

TT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, ive just bought a skyline R32 gts wiv R33 gtr running gear and ive been told that the turbos have had steel inserts at a cost of £1600, does anyone out there think that this is rite and know how i can check if it has actually got them, i.e. is it obvious that there steel, as i did not get a reciept for this.If they havnt has anyone got any suggestions on what i should do about the bloke who sold me the car.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hi, ive just bought a skyline R32 gts wiv R33 gtr running gear and ive been told that the turbos have had steel inserts at a cost of £1600, does anyone out there think that this is rite and know how i can check if it has actually got them, i.e. is it obvious that there steel, as i did not get a reciept for this.If they havnt has anyone got any suggestions on what i should do about the bloke who sold me the car.
Only way to check them for SURE is take them off and have a look....

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Really sorry to hear about the blow up, hopefully it will not have done any damage elsewhere. Before you jump in and buy the cheapest turbos you can get make some decisions on where you want to go with the car power wise and start from there. Good luck with it .

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sounds like the oil seals on at least one turbo to me? I can probably help on both counts? I've just run a group buy for 2860's so I can probably still get you a good price? Or I have a pair of Turbo technics stage1 hybrids which have covered approx 2K which I will be removing, these were £1500 new if memory serves me rightly?

·
Registered
399 Posts
My guess would also be oil seal on one of the turbo's which under vacuum would suck air in and under boost force oil out creating the white smoke.

Given the sound you can hear it's like the fan scraping the turbo housing which means one of them is probably shot but may be repairable.

Wouldn't drive it though because if the broke turbo starts to disintegrate fragments will get sucked into your engine and you're in a world of hurt if that happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts