GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold my Porsche Cayenne which i spent and arm and a leg on, buit it was ideal for the wife and my Kids but now i am SERIOUSLY thinking about the R35,I have spent the best part of the whole week on here reading, reading and reading some more.

The kids are 3 years old now so can jump in and out of the car themself so 4 doors isnt a must and worse come to worst, ill get the wife a family wagon for a couple of grand lol

Im Now 30 and Feel that its about time i enjoyed what i drove and its been a long time since ive got excited at one car, The R35 GTR has been in my thought for bloody ages.

Ive built up a we bit of info on them but still have some doubts.

Thingslike running costs like servicing,fuel,tyres etc ive read plenty about so im ok with that

Im sure you Guys can Help on the below.

(1) After looking at various models it seems the import is fairly cheaper than the UK Sold Cars, first thought is to buy the import but if these are worth alot less now, long term they will be less desirable in the future,so i suppose any views on this would be great.

(2)Day to Day Running. Does any of you guys run them day to,ie round town etc, i have a company car so the wife would use the GTR Daily for the school run etc, I dont care about handling or ride comfort as im used to Low sporty cars with hard suspension etc,its more views from anyone that runs one as their Day to Day Car and their thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Brad

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Mostly common sense stuff Brad such as...

1. Imports have japanese writing on screens and some buttons, no warranty, no idea of history prior to import, but lower purchase price.

2. I use my GTR daily (was not meant to, but just cannot resist it...) and running costs are that which I expected for a 3.8l sportscar. Tyres are expensive but are getting cheper, servicing will depend on mileage of course, but a Cayenne is hardly cheap on any of those things, especially with Cayennes eating tyres.

Be comparative in costings. Spend 30k more on a Porker, possibly spend less on servicing (as now most porkers are 2 year servicing AFAIR) but get hit more on depreciation possibly.

For me, I was sick of making "head" decisions about cars and being utterly bored driving around. The GTR has reawakened my love of driving.

If your looking for reassurance that buying a GTR is a good money decision, well you wont get any help from me! Cars are not good places to put your money from a financial point of view, and the faster the car, the truer the statement IMHO.

Go drive a GTR and if your not smiling like a frantic lunatic afterwards, dont buy one.

But I know how you'll look, and what your answer will be.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Brad,
It's a great daily car once you get used to a few personality traits - it takes time for the transmission to warm up and the limited slip rear diff makes reversing with lock on a bit of an adventure, but I use mine almost every day and it's fine - but my wife prefers not to drive it (even though she was fine with my race tuned 300zxTT, Saab Carlsson and the BMW M5 we've owned previously).

Don't buy an import - it's a real false economy. You need a reliable robust relationship with a Nissan High Performance Centre if you want to use this car daily and be able to sleep at night without worrying about unpredictable bills etc. But you should be able to find a UK car for under £50k now - BARGAIN!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly common sense stuff Brad such as...

1. Imports have japanese writing on screens and some buttons, no warranty, no idea of history prior to import, but lower purchase price.

For me, I was sick of making "head" decisions about cars and being utterly bored driving around. The GTR has reawakened my love of driving.

Go drive a GTR and if your not smiling like a frantic lunatic afterwards, dont buy one.

But I know how you'll look, and what your answer will be.....
You hit the nail on the head mate, the import one wouldnt be for me as the warrenty is something i would like.

I will have a look about on here and see if i can have a nosey at someone local to me's car.

Its been a while since ive seen a car and thought i MUST have one.

Now all i need to do is find a UK Car in white or Black that aint insanely priced.

Brad

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brad,
It's a great daily car once you get used to a few personality traits - it takes time for the transmission to warm up and the limited slip rear diff makes reversing with lock on a bit of an adventure, but I use mine almost every day and it's fine - but my wife prefers not to drive it (even though she was fine with my race tuned 300zxTT, Saab Carlsson and the BMW M5 we've owned previously).

Don't buy an import - it's a real false economy. You need a reliable robust relationship with a Nissan High Performance Centre if you want to use this car daily and be able to sleep at night without worrying about unpredictable bills etc. But you should be able to find a UK car for under £50k now - BARGAIN!

Cheers Mate, after reading this an import is deffo a no no now.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
I will have a look about on here and see if i can have a nosey at someone local to me's car.

Brad
I'm pretty sure ScottyB is from Aberdeen, albeit he works with les Froggies thru the week.

May be worth a PM in his direction.

I'll warn you now that he's got a beast of an exhaust, and a COBB Accessport remap which will blow you away!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
There are quite a few cars owned up in the NE of Scotland. The problem is that those guys tend to work off-shore/away a lot (well if i lived in Aberdeen i would too :D). But hopefully one of the guys up your way can let you have have a wee run around.

Otherwise, hope down to Nobles in Edinburgh. They've got a few demonstrators and you'll see cars they are shipping out too (for colour choice) and get David Noble to drive you in it. He'll demonstrate clearly what it can do :D

If you're ever near Glasgow, i'd be happy to take you out in mine.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Might want to check the threads on babies seats / kids in the back

some comments that rear seats are difficult for older kids / longer distances

however, it is an epic car:D

·
Registered
15 Posts

What a good point Charlie :clap:

Exactly why I'm considering one at the moment...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I cannot comment on using the car daily as I don't.
What I can tell you is that after years of refusing to recognise the quality and value for money of 'Japanese' type sport cars ie evo's /subaru etc, and spending £000's on german and italian cars,believing in my ignorance that that the japanese offerings could never compete/compare to a 'proper' sports car ie F430/GT3 etc. However,because of all the hype I decide to have a go in a gtr just to confirm my belief. I thought/expected to be suitably dissapointed with the whole experience.
Oh, how wrong I was, it has changed my whole car world completely,the car is just amazing,build quality good and the level of equipment as standard miles better than anything I've had before.Performance is just perfect.

So in summary,I say .GO FOR IT !!!! it's worth every penny.I was lucky and bought a uk car straight away,but if your budget only goes as far as an import still go for it.The depreciation is going to happen to both,maybe slighty heavily more on the import than the uk car but not much.The grins per mile will still be the same tho' !!!.I'm sure you can also pick up a decent warranty to give you that piece of mind.
I'm completely Hooked,mine had the Y pipe and a cobb access port mapping,it was amazing,by the end of next week tho', it will have new Turbo actuators,downpipes,and a full milltek exhaust added as well,I;m like a little kid waiting for santa to come,that's what the car has done for me,got right under my skin and made going for a drive a long series of laugh's ,smiles and deep breaths again .It is a long time since I felt like this about a car, and it's only cost me appox half the money I would have usualy spent !
Do it I promise you won't regret it. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1

I am in total agreement with MSM here.

I to had dismissed Japanese cars in the past, (JJ's or japanese junk as I used to call them).

It was the EVO article in which the Veyron was not able to catch the GTR at the end of the article that I stolled into my local HPC and expected to be dissapointed with the car. How wrong I was, within 55 days of walking into to the dealership, I am now in a Black Edition NAV car.

Just go for it, you will not look back.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Guys, your making me worse (in a good way)

Im on the Hunt for one and ASAP :clap:
As another R35 owner using it as a daily driver I can confirm its absolutely flipping fantastic - there I was having a look online - it jumped out at me - I fell in love - went a bit nuts and picked it up 2 weeks later.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
how many cars like this to people let you out of junctions in?

I have a busy crossing near me, I get out in the traffic in the GTR better than the 350z.... go figure

R

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
It's fine as a daily driver provided you aren't worried about:

1. Fuel consumption (I average 20mpg and my worst is 4mpg)

2. The ride - it is very very firm for a daily driver..

·
Registered
220 Posts
how many cars like this to people let you out of junctions in?

I have a busy crossing near me, I get out in the traffic in the GTR better than the 350z.... go figure

R
It's true - I've only had positive reactions from other drivers - it's the everyday Joe's car of choice I think - very popular choice and much admired by everyone I've come across. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hi bradz
I use mine as a daily driver. I find it good A little hard on the ride but that's the price you pay for good handling. Top tips:
try your kids in the back - my 7 and 10 yr olds get in but space behind driver is tight and more sutied to eldest as his thighs are long enough to reach edge of rer seat swab. Younger goes behing passenger with seat pushed forward a bit as her legs tend to stick out rather than drop vertically.
Also make sure your mrs is up for driving it daily. Not easy to park and easy to Kerb alloys if not careful. Recipe for marital strife if not careful!
Overall great car. V special and different and gets lots of attention in a nice way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi bradz
I use mine as a daily driver. I find it good A little hard on the ride but that's the price you pay for good handling. Top tips:
try your kids in the back - my 7 and 10 yr olds get in but space behind driver is tight and more sutied to eldest as his thighs are long enough to reach edge of rer seat swab. Younger goes behing passenger with seat pushed forward a bit as her legs tend to stick out rather than drop vertically.
Also make sure your mrs is up for driving it daily. Not easy to park and easy to Kerb alloys if not careful. Recipe for marital strife if not careful!
Overall great car. V special and different and gets lots of attention in a nice way.

Cheers mate, my 3 year olds can jump in and out easy enough so should be ok for room too.

Dare i say it,but the wife is a better driver than me :nervous: she has always drove quick cars and ones that are a tuff drive, she used to love our Previous Tuned Sierra Cosworths/WRX's and such like and loves a wee race lol, Im more likey to do the wheel kerbing :bawling:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bradz,

I live in Aberdeen and my car was supposed to be here last week, you can imagine how impatient I'm getting waiting for mine.

Get behind the wheel of one, you'll be hooked.

Ally

1 - 19 of 19 Posts