GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang,

I have come up with a cunning plan..

Could you mount two R33 GTR intercoolers back to back and have one fed from each turbo. This would net an increase in flow capacity of more than some of the biggest ic's as you are running 2 60mm thick cores instead of one 110mm core (Nismo racing item)

1. Does anyone think it is worth persuing. ?
2. Will 140mm of intercoolers fit in the gap ?

I would propose that you ran the front turbo to the back intercooler and then the back to the front as I reckon the back turbo probably runs hotter than the front. used in conjunction with a water spray to even the heat up a bit..

Whaddya reckon ?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Very interesting idea!:)

You would end up with 2 pipes on the intake side so would have to get some piping done, but it does sound like a fresh idea. Space should not be a problem...just cut away at the bumper. Just have a look at the size of this twin entry intercooler from project RH9!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Fine idea...but there would be a weight penalty.

Also wouldn't 1 turbo always get worse cooling as the second IC only gets "used" air...

How are you going to join the two flows so that they go into the single entry intake manifold.

IMO, If you were really keen to do 1 IC per turbo you'd really want the two Ic's to be one one above the other and both long and thin.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
I think that if you mean that the cooling air would pass thru one and then on to the next as in --->(IC1)->(IC2)---> the arrows representing the flow of the cooling air then really that will be counter productive as the heat transfer would not work very well even on the 'first' IC as it is effectively enclosed on one side by warm air that has its flow impeded due to the pressure differential across the fins and the small gap between the modules.

Mathematically you lose, I make it that 2×60mm units mounted as above is less efficient than a single 100mm unit.

What would be good is to address how you blend the 2 supplies into a single pipe at present I have yet to find a good Japanese Siamese pipe design.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mentioned taking the rear turbo to the front and the front to the rear for cooling purposes.

I would get samco or someone to make up a twin outlet- one outlet pipe..

so the heat would make it totally inrefficient then ?

What about if used in conjunction with a spray ?

That is one huge intercooler Dino !!

I like it a lot...

/Steve

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
If this [back to back] is what you mean then as I say it will be inefficient;

...............rr.turb............fr.Turb.....................
cold air _______ gap _______ exiting air
-------->_______ ---> _______------------>
................IC^.................IC^..................

only if each has access to ambient air will the ICs' work at their best as below.

cold air(------)exiting air
-------> \IC/ ----------->
gap----------------------->

If that makes any sense?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mycroft,

I sort of follow.

How about running a series then rather than parallel I/c's ?
so you feed both to the rear one then loop back to the front ?

This would give an initial chill and then be cooled by the coldest one before entry to the plenum.

The reason for this being that the GTR intercoolers are fairly easy to get ahold of.. so they are cheap compared to a 110 mm custom jobbie from nismo, trust etc..

I am thinking about doing some tests with a thermometer to see the heat difference between the front and back of the intercooler at 30, 50 and 70 mph just to back up the heat statements..

I find it hard to believe that there will be a significant heat build up between the front and rear of an air-air intercooler. surely they are not that efficient ? particularly at cruising speeds.

/Steve

·
Registered
426 Posts
Weight lag and space used would all be increased in your latest plan...sorry!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
You could have them offset

If you offset the intercoolers vertically then it could work well as long as you have the space.

The flow area (for cooling air) of an intercooler is approx a third of its actual frontal area, so as long as you have appropriate ducting places, you could sit the front intercooler about 2.5 - 3 inches higher than the back one, leave a (say) 2 inch gap between them and then have plates to 'encourage' some of the air to go up to the top of the rear one, and to help air exit the back of the lower half of the front one.

This technique is sometimes used with staged coolers when frontal area is restricted - it's not something I've just made up.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That could be interesting.

I think the airco might have to come out but mounting them higher could be a goer. I'm not sure about space though, I think there is more room behind than there is above...

I might have a buyer for the car so there will now be a mod freeze until I know for sure..

cheers
Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts