GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning started the car and it was idling away at 1800rpm while cold,even after driving a while so everything had warmed it still was around 1300rpm.By the time I had got to work it was back idling at 1000rpm but did notice it was not popping on the change up and was popping loads changing down.
Untill now from cold it has never been over 1500 and when warm would sit at 1000rpm.
Any ideas why the idle would do this????????
The idle control valve has been changed before but that was before I owned the car so I don`t know how long ago.
On my old Evo the Ecu learnt things and would change the engine to match,does the skyline do this?????For the last 3 mornings I have had the stereo and heater on putting extra load on the car from cold,could it have compensated for this?

Stuart

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I wish I had your problem, mine keeps stalling when I start it up when warm. It idles with the aircon on at 500 and everytime I get to a road end it stalls. I have found blasting it in first and second sorts the problem out.

Sorry to be of no help what so ever there but I felt like a whinge:)

Matt

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt...
You would not want this problem,idling at 1800rpm nearly shook the garage down and I don`t think the neighbours would have been to happy hearing that at 6:50am...I think you have got the same problem but the opposite effect.It is probably this idle control valve but I am hoping some tech experts will be able to shed some light...
Come on the experts opinions required..
Stu

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Good point my neighbours hate me and my magnex:p Especially today at 6:30

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
where are they??

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unstable idle when

the intake manifold gaskets blew on my R33, but it was more up and down rather than continuously high.

Iain

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Tony & Mark

I presume Abbey Motorsport are at Trax on Sunday. Try asking them. A 30 minute chat will be very rewarding:)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started it up again from cold just now and the idle is ok.I will see how it goes when I drive home later but I am hoping it is one of those mysterious car problems so just go away..Failing that I think Abbey are at Trax so I will have to collar one of them for any advice.May even stick the car on there mobile rolling road that they are taking..

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All was fine last night getting home but this morning it began to idle at 1800rpm from cold,it dropped while I closed the garage so it thought it was ok again but 15mins up the road at some lights warmed up it was at 1300rpm.So it looks like there is a problem with something,I just need to know what.
Class A....I only had the fan heater on not the A/C.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
It could be a faulty air flow meter. You can do a diagnostic check with the ecu using the led on it but I would just get a check done using the Nissan Consult. Give Abbey a ring and see if they will have the diagnostic tool there on Sunday.
Mark ran a check for me a year ago at Donington Park (in the car park outside) and it said air mass meter error had been recorded several times. Bought a second hand afm meter off him at Trax 2001. Problem sorted!
Worth a try Stu.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers dave I will give abbey a call..
I just moved the car and as it was warm no choke and there was no problem.It seems if it uses a bit of choke it idles to high..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts