GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

so, i just thinking out loud here for a project way in the future im wondering...

if we got a good solid healthy R32 motor (shorter oil pump drive) and we wanted to change out the achilles heel (OEM oil pump) as preventative maintenance...but we don't want to do a FULL engine rebuild top to to bottom... so.. we pull the motor out, drop the oil pan and take off the oil pump....

what else is worth changing at the same time?

heres what i was thinking..

while down there... change:
- oil pan gasket/seal
- new R34 N1 crank
- new ACL bearings (anyone reccomend a better brand?)
- new studs for bottom ends (ARP is best here?)
- oil pump (i don't want oem, or N1.. and i dont want something that will force me to get support mods, like i dont want to use an extended sump, oil restrictor etc..)

so can anyone reccomend anything else worth doing at the same time.. and also reccomend a good quality oil pump?

·
Registered
622 Posts
If up-grading oil pump you will want to be either fitting a restrictor or

an extra return from the back of the head.

Also while apart defo do the water pump & at least an improved sump baffle.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Tomei oil restictor, Tomei oil pan may be a good idea as well.
I don't think you will gain anything by replacing your crank.
Tomei, HKS, Nismo and Jun pumps ar all very similar in terms of spec and quality. The Jun and Nismo are a bit easier on the wallet though.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys!

so to be clear, its not possible to fit an aftermarket oil pump with out doing oil pan extension and restrictor mods? where do you install the restrictor? does the head have to come off?

its already got all new timing belt and n1 water pump idler tensioner crank seals etc...

and yea the crank has to be change to r34 new one because my crank currently has the shorter oiil pump drive and i don't want to fit a collar.

so to re-iterate heres my new questions:

#1 there is no aftermarket oil pump that doesnt require oil pan extension and oil restrictors?

#2 where do the oil restrictors install into? does the head have to come off?

#3 while down there doing the oil pump, crank, bearings and bolts. is there nothing else worth changing down there?

i don't want to change my rods, or pistons.. i just had a compression test done and my car is still as healthy as the day i bought it (more than a year later) so i know rods and pistons are good + when i want more power later a solid bottom end and healthy pistons and rods means for more power its just about taking off the head to do some work.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
thanks guys!

so to be clear, its not possible to fit an aftermarket oil pump with out doing oil pan extension and restrictor mods? where do you install the restrictor? does the head have to come off?

its already got all new timing belt and n1 water pump idler tensioner crank seals etc...

and yea the crank has to be change to r34 new one because my crank currently has the shorter oiil pump drive and i don't want to fit a collar.

so to re-iterate heres my new questions:

#1 there is no aftermarket oil pump that doesnt require oil pan extension and oil restrictors?

#2 where do the oil restrictors install into? does the head have to come off?

#3 while down there doing the oil pump, crank, bearings and bolts. is there nothing else worth changing down there?

i don't want to change my rods, or pistons.. i just had a compression test done and my car is still as healthy as the day i bought it (more than a year later) so i know rods and pistons are good + when i want more power later a solid bottom end and healthy pistons and rods means for more power its just about taking off the head to do some work.

thanks guys!
Nothing wrong with fitting a collar....Much cheaper than replacing the crank, and no different. I rebuilt my engine about 5yrs ago, and got a crank collar off GTR-Glenn....(Fantastic work mate!) and have had no issues with 600hp going through it on my Nismo pump.:clap:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Any of the after market pumps will increase flow / pressure or both. This will, coupled with enthusiastic driving ie. higher revs add to the problem of too much oil in the top of the engine ( cam covers )
This will again with enthusiastic driving ( cornering ) increase the chance of sucking in air ( no sump baffle as standard )
To address this you can either or both fit an oil restrictor ( head off as it fits in top of block ) or an oil return from the back of the head ( also head off )
While the sump is off it would make good sense to fit a tomei oil pan.
ARP studs are good ( better than standard bolts ) but if you chose to use them 1 of the centre 1s needs cutting down as it fouls the d/shaft tube running through the sump.
ACL Race series bearings also v good. & not daft money.
To see where theoilrestrictor is fitted go on to rhd japan put in tomei oil restrictor & you can see where it fits.
Hope this helps:thumbsup:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya it does help! thank you very much guys! i should let you know.. that ive put my worries to rest and made a decision..

its always been a life long dream of mine to rebuild an RB26DETT motor.. myself... and to think i was considering paying someone tons of money to do my dream for me>?! i feel dumb! lol...

so i know my motor is good for now as it is (good compression #'s), so ive decided im gonna save up some money and continue to drive my car the way she is.. adding little bits at a time.. but when the time comes to rebuild... ill definitley be doing it.

that being said? is that true about the center bolts hitting the tube pasing through the sump?!! how do u deal with that? just screw it in... bolt it down.. then cut off th excess? or what? lol

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Tomei oil baffle, cheap and definitely a needed upgrade inside the oilpan.

The Nismo oil pump, as far as I can recall, flows about the same as stock, but with stronger gears. Pretty much every other aftermarket pump will flow a lot more than stock. Tomei oil restrictor is mandatory, no matter what you're doing.

I ran a JUN pump on a stock sump. It sucked the sump dry a couple times, and eventually broke. Tomei is the worst possible choice - you will need an extended sump at a minimum. I added an Accusump and lots of other bits to support the Tomei pump, such that it takes 10 liters of oil to fill my system, compared with 4 liters stock. I think I should have done the head drain - at high RPM I'm pushing close to 9 bars oil pressure with my Tomei, and I think the head is definitely filling up and tossing oil out the breathers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts