GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
31,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reason i ask is brothers oil pressure gauge on his 32 GTR is playing silly buggers, and i appreciate the senders are shite, and play up, but he's had a few traction issues lately and caught the limiter once or twice, and having researched it, the gauge can do weird things before pump failure

but

the car had a bottom end rebuild about 10,000 miles ago, at Abbeys, but i can't see an oil pump on the bill.

would they refit the original pump (they are closed otherwise i'd email them) or would they refuse to do so, and always fit a new one?

anyone know?

thanks

mook

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I can't see the point in changing the pump unless,

1) it's badly scored
2) It's worn out of tolerance
3) You've asked for it to be changed

I didn't bother with my RB26 build. I calculated the scores in my old pump might loose 0.5% oil capacity.

Oil is hydraulic, so unless there is an intermittent leak, the oil pressure should be consistant. But don't use the Nissan guage, its poo. Pop of halfrauds and get a mechanical guage. At least you know hwere you stand.

·
Administrator
31,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you didn't change the pump, did you do someting to the rebuild that removes the failure risk which is most apparent in the 32 and not the 33? that collar or someting (proper brainless i'm afraid)

cheers for the reply

mook

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
My RB30 runs a JUN pump. The reason? It was £200. Do I really need it? No.

My RB26 used the old style R32 pump with no problems, but I never revved it over 7K. I think its high mileage cars that suffer from oil pump failures due to the drive flats on the crank becoming deformed and the drive forces tend to open up the pump as opposed to rotate it. Mix this with high rpms and fast RPM changes(missed gears etc) and it'll pop eventually.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I would, at least you know the full story then.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
31,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry, quick one, mechaincal gauge from halfords, is this for testing, or a permanent replacment?

mook

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Nice is actually situated under the bonnet. I plumbed it in for checking the pressure on initial start up. Now I use it to check the inaccuracy of the electrical one. The mechanical one can read over 100psi(thats off the guage) and the nissan one reads 30psi.. Quite a difference.

·
Administrator
31,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do they come with a selection of unions if he wanted to just remove the factory one for initial testing?

sorry for the lame Q's

mook

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
The T peice screws in where the Nissan sensor goes. You then screw in the Nissan sensor and the copper pipe, thread the pipe to the guage position and screw the guage in. Sounds easy?? Try unscrewing the Nissan sensor. It's TIGHT but possable.. I think a 10mm spanner fits the flats on the neck of the sensor which enables you to unscrew to. It's just a tad tight down there.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I can't see the point in changing the pump unless,

1) it's badly scored
2) It's worn out of tolerance
3) You've asked for it to be changed
I did not change the oil pump that came with the block I had from you, a quick check and measure then back together with a little thread lock on the bolts. As good as new:thumbsup: Was going for a N1 pump but with some people having problems decided not to bother.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I think you did well there. I'm glad it helped someone out.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
31,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
right, brothers going to Hellfrauds tommorow, thank you

Paul, sort of reassuring. would assume such measures were made when the engine was out, and the pump would have only gone back in if it was fine

it's gonna be a sender, but i do like to panic ;)

lol

Mookigay

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
a brand new Z32 sender is pretty easily had, and will give correct readings. that'll let you know for sure if the oil pump is acting up or if it's just the old sender going insane as they do. Having to change the oil pump is a fairly involved process, whereas the sender takes about five minutes to swap.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Regardless of whether the pump is okay or not you may want to go for an aftermarket one with a higher flow rate. They're not 'hugely expensive' (just plain old 'expensive') :D and better oil flow is always desired in any engine. But check the flow rates of each as they differ.

3,665 Posts
Mookie....

this is good service isnt it, had a look at the invoice for the engine rebuild , no oil pump was fitted, Now if I remember rightly it was a warranty job , so we would of had hassle getting them to pay for an oil pump, the Oil Pump was checked out and as it was all okay we refitted it.

I will say the oil pressure sensors are very inconsistent, worth while changing them every year in my opinon.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
hi guys,

im the brother in question.

think ill sort an oil and filter change, while im there ill fit a aftermarket guage and replace the OE sender too.

ive had a few minis with oil pumps that have given up and thats not something id like to repeat lol

thanks for all your replies and help, its much appreciated.

cheers

Greg

·
Administrator
31,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mookie....

this is good service isnt it, had a look at the invoice for the engine rebuild , no oil pump was fitted, Now if I remember rightly it was a warranty job , so we would of had hassle getting them to pay for an oil pump, the Oil Pump was checked out and as it was all okay we refitted it.

I will say the oil pressure sensors are very inconsistent, worth while changing them every year in my opinon.

lol, seems you weren't kidding with your location. 8.05 on a sunday!!!

;)

thanks for taking the time to look into it for us, as greg says, lets do the obvious, then see whats what

thanks guys

mook

3,665 Posts
Was up early prior to going Mountain biking. Only took 5 mins while eating my shredded wheat.

Hope you sort it out.

Happy New Year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts