GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'm totally new to both this forum and Japanese cars, besides I'm an Audi fanboy and been driving nothing but Audi for the last 8 years since got my licence!

Well currently have an Audi A3 V6 3.2 with 240 BHP... nothing really considerable :) but it's fine for me...

I'm currently 27 and looking to buy GT-R in my early 30s as currently can't insure this type of car as my other policies and NCD it's been used...

Anyway just want to know a little but about your experience of owning GT-R and what made you to buy one...

Also I'm not worried about MPG but curious to know what sort of MPG I'm looking about :)

Also what are the common problems, I heard from some people that GT-Rs have problem with their gearboxes that seems to fail every 10k miles... Not sure if that's true, but correct me if I'm wrong :)

I know good ones are roughly about 35k with 30k mileage but where do you recommend to buy, from private sellers or dealers with warranty!

I appreciate any help :)

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Gearbox issue was Jap spec cars the year before the UK cars arrived, so early imports.
UK cars (or any from 2009 onwards) are fine.
Bellhousing is the bit that fails and gets noisy.

MPG, 18-20 sensible. I get about 4 on track.

Compared to Audi handling the GT-R will feel amazing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gearbox issue was Jap spec cars the year before the UK cars arrived, so early imports.
UK cars (or any from 2009 onwards) are fine.
Bellhousing is the bit that fails and gets noisy.

MPG, 18-20 sensible. I get about 4 on track.

Compared to Audi handling the GT-R will feel amazing.

Cool, yes I know an Audi is more a city driving car whereas GT-R is for racing n stuff...
I still have about year time to know loads of stuff about this beauty...

What editions are there? Is there differences between types in terms of materials, BHP... With Audis we have black editions which makes the car special and holds their values far better :)

Anyway thanks for the reply :)

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
There are plenty of Audi guys in here, me included, so you are in good company.

The gtr is much easier to learn than the Audi in terms of options and editions.

There are two ages of gtr ie ore and post facelift.

The early cars are my08 (jap only) to my 10, they are the CBA model code cars, my11 to present are DBA. They look different due to slightly different front and rear bumpers, different wheels, revised interior etc. easiest spot us dba cars have Drls below headlights.

In addition to the main change in 2011, there are slight tweaks each year that are more difficult to spot. The main change that will affect you is that, using the rule of thumb, from 59 plate all cars had sat nav which also brings iPod playback through the music system via USB cable and a higher resolution screen for the graphics.

There are hardly any options to think of. Paint colour, floor mats and dealer fit parking sensors so that's easy.

Models wise, it's fairly easy too. For the CBA cars, there was premium edition or black edition. Difference is wheel colour (silver or gunmetal) rooflining, light grey or black and seats, (red leather edging or plain grey seats). Hardly any difference in price or desirability now, but slight preference for black edition.

On the DBA models it became even easier, there's Recaro edition or non-Recaro edition. Only difference is seat design and colour with Recaro having a red edging similar to the older black edition.

That's pretty much it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You're looking to buy in 3 years time?

Insurance is pretty cheap for young GT-R drivers with NCB, Postcode/Points dependent obviously.

I used to really like Audi's until I saw the light and got an F30 XDRIVE.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
You're looking to buy in 3 years time?

Insurance is pretty cheap for young GT-R drivers with NCB, Postcode/Points dependent obviously.

I used to really like Audi's until I saw the light and got an F30 XDRIVE.
Yep my stage 5 GTR (circa 750 bhp) is only £100 more to insure than our Focus ST.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've got 6 years NCB on one of my cars and 3 years on the other and 1 year on my a3 v6...

With 2 years NCB is 1700
And 6 years one is 780, but the proem is I can't use neither of them... Have to wait for my a3 v6 NCB to be at least 2 years before I switch cars...

Another problem is I still wanna keep my Audi as it only has 36k on the clock and I'm the second owner... And it's pretty much brand new... It's a 2004 but looks totally brand new and wanna keep it as it would be good example of classic car in about couple if years time :)

Thx

·
Registered
371 Posts
Switch to Admiral Multicar insurance and they'll match your NCB against all the cars you have - you'll save thousands.

Don't wait a year, if you do you'll be upset when you go for your first drive as once you've gotten over what a beast you've just bought you'll be pissed at yourself that you wasted a year without one :chuckle:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, I've already called them about multi car insurance but it works out more than what I'm currently paying :(

Not sure why but so many people say the same thing as you say!

I'll give them a call again and see what they say!

Thx I appreciate that :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
£1700 on A3 insurance? you must be mad, an Audi A3 will never be a classic, cash out.

Even with no NCB the GTR will be cheaper than that. I insured mine with no NCB 4 years ago and it was about £1300.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I'm with admiral multicar too. Mirrored no claims and actually worked out cheaper than what I was paying for my Honda civic type R.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Speak to competition car insurance, they matched my Subaru's NCB across to GTR when I bought second car and I don't insure Scoob through them. They also allow five track days within their policy.

Anders

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi C

I'm just a newbie here but recently bought a MY10 car. I've had S3, TT and RS4. The GTR is in a world of its own! I'll only go back when I get older :)

Admiral multi car insurance for sure. Stick to a non mod car. I'm 10 years your senior but still, only pay £319. If there's a Mrs C then put her on it too to bring the cost down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi C

I'm just a newbie here but recently bought a MY10 car. I've had S3, TT and RS4. The GTR is in a world of its own! I'll only go back when I get older :)

Admiral multi car insurance for sure. Stick to a non mod car. I'm 10 years your senior but still, only pay £319. If there's a Mrs C then put her on it too to bring the cost down.

Awesome... I was gone go for rs3 Initially buy felt that I need that change... So decided to go for GTR, I rang admiral about multi car insurance and they gone call me back as they are matching the prices for me... At the moment they quoted 3,700 for all 4 cars in the household but only 2 mature drivers which give us the restriction...

So they gone see what they could do for me by end of the week!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts