GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so hello to every one here.

Ok I`m looking at buying my first skyline(R33) but can`t decide on a UK spec or an Import. I`ve owned Jap Imports before and i know that the main bonus to an import is the added extras the cars come with such as stainless exhausts, electronic controllers etc.. as these would cost ££££`s to add to a UK car, thankfully some japanese guys done it all ready :) .

However I have also found problems with fueling(pinking) and getting parts for imports as spec can be different than UK cars.

Any info would be a real help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Disclaimer: I may be wrong on some of this since I too am a relative Skyline newbie :)

Hello! :D

Fundamentally the differences between import R33's and UK spec R33's are in the equipment added. At the end of the day even a UK spec car is of Japanese origin, and most if not all imports here will have had the necessary bare minimum things (speedo recalibrated, UK spec ECU) added. Thus you're going to have the same "problems" with parts with either UK spec or import car. Only thing I have noticed is that some Nissan dealerships baulk at the mere mention of the word "import", but at the end of the day most Nissan dealerships wouldn't feel 100% comfortable working with Skylines full stop.

At the end of the day it's a question of how essential you find the UK spec equipment to be. Having said that, an oil cooler, leather and various other trick bits isn't anything to be sniffed at - oil coolers seem to be one of the first things anyone serious about modding looks at when it comes to "maintainable" power.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Imports/UK

Welcome SkylinbeNewbie.

I think Durzel more or less covered the pros and cons apart from the warranty .

Unless you are going to buy a Skyline under 3 years old I believe there is not a MAJOR point in buying a UK car for they will not come with Middlehurst Warranty.Even if you did buy a UK car under 3 years old and then modded it you will probably loose most of , if not all the warranty . They do come with a couple of extra bits and bobs but they aren't of paramount importance ,apart from the oil cooler ,but as Durzel said it can be fitted on at a later date.

IMHO go and find the car you like and buy it.

We are fortunate enough to have a number of good tuners (you see Glen ,no plugs hear mate.:D) with extensive knowledge/parts for our cars so don't worry about parts too much.Besides Skylines are pretty tough and reliable especially when looked after.

You should come to one of our meets and have a chat with some of us for more info.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Bolney

I might join the convoy at one of the services ,for I did it last time and it was good fun.
It was a sight seeing such a large number of various Jap cars 'blasting' along the M25 ! The part I enjoy the most is seeing the look on non petrol heads face's as we all scream by at various speeds !:D (Within the speed limits of course.)

As to the lunch I skillfully avoided buying any ! :D

Well I guess I should be there for about 12 ish I think, so keep me a space next to the 'big white one' if you get there before me.:)

·
Registered
336 Posts
But an Import

But a late 97 import. The one with xenon headlights and red inserts in the interior. You can pick em up for good money.

Hear speaks the voice of authority. (LOL)

Gazmo.
I am free !!!

F**k the stella, vodka is evil !! God, what makes you southerners drink this s**t ???? Christ !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts