GTR Forum banner

How do you think we should display the subforums of General Chat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all.

We've been closely monitoring the status of this forum change, where we combined both the existing R35 chat sub forum, with that of the existing RB26 sub forums (R32 - R34's).

From the very off, it was obvious that many of you didn't like the move and were also quite vocal about it. I did ask that you provide us with a little patience to monitor the change and thanks to you all, we've been able to review the situation.

This forum is only as good as the contribution of its users, so I now place the decision firmly in your hands. Please make your vote (it's a public vote) known so that we can either leave the move as is, or migrate it back to how it was before.

The mods and I all feel that we've probably made the wrong decision, however it's very important to know the reasons for the change. We're simply trying to provide further community integration between all the cars. It may be that this was the wrong way of doing it, so I'll politely ask you all to reinforce your votes with ideas, suggestions and opinions as to how we can focus on that issue.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to announce that the site rebuild is going very well indeed. We've got some incredible developments and we're taking this site properly into the next decade with style. I've got my personal digital comms company building this, so it's not a bedroom coded affair but a proper, commissioned agency project that is documenting the build progress. I really want to show you these designs, but there are some pretty cute new things we're throwing in that I really am loathe to share with the world until we're live.

I do, however, really need your input. Going forwards, we'll place decisions well and truly in your hands. To that end, we need your comments in a site survey that's due to go live soon. I would respectfully ask that EVERY single one of you contribute to this. This is not just for GTROC members, but for every user of this forum.

Thanks all.

Admin Team

·
Administrator
31,755 Posts
Can I just reiterate Cem's comments about integration. I see a few people have already voted.

What we need to remember, is this site is not Wikipedia. It's not just a source of info. It's a community. A community of people with shared interests, and we need to cater for those interests as fairly as possible.

So, if possible, instead of just casting a vote, perhaps comment on how we can ensure that the 35 owners are as involved in daily forum life as much the established Skyline owners are, and how the existing Skyline owners can be drawn into, and involved in, the exciting world of the next generation GTR.

Afterall, in 10 years time, this place will still be here and we need to make sure the scene is cohesive.

Mook

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i like to read about all the gtr's
but i get the feeling alot(but obviously not all ) of the the new 35 owners are not intrested in the gtr's heritage
and that they are just passengers in the gtr experience and when their ride is over and something better arrives they will simply get off and move onto another ride without batting an eye ...
some of them seem to think that people who do not have a 35 can't afford one or similar ..but not everybody wants one ..!!
i voted revert back to the old system
and maybe think about condensing some of the old cats togeather like turbo's... engine mods etc as i think then they would get a lot more hits it's a bit of a pain having to look through each cat... individually ....sorry if i offended anybody just my 2 euros ..

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but i get the feeling alot(but obviously not all ) of the the new 35 owners are not intrested in the gtr's heritage
and that they are just passengers in the gtr experience and when their ride is over and something better arrives they will simply get off and move onto another ride without batting an eye ...
some of them seem to think that people who do not have a 35 can't afford one or similar ..but not everybody wants one ..!!
i voted revert back to the old system
and maybe think about condensing some of the old cats togeather like turbo's... engine mods etc as i think then they would get a lot more hits it's a bit of a pain having to look through each cat... individually ....sorry if i offended anybody just my 2 euros ..
Interesting point about combining some of the tech forums.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i totally agree with miragev

as much as i like reading about the 35's most people join ask a question and p!s5 off

its about the community like mook said

i think i will wait to see a few more votes before i decide as i want to read about 35's but i also want the community side, also thinking about the community it could mean two or more communities are coming together

dont know what to do as yet lets hear a few more views :thumbsup: :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Summed up perfectly and better than I could have :thumbsup:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well, all I can say hats off to you guys - at least you are prepared to gauge feeling and even admit you made a mistake.

Can't be fairer than that and I'm sure the posts will benefit if you revert to a R35 Chit-Chat Forum.

Cem - just a reminder and I'm sure you are well aware of it as I did post on it before - but the thread disappeared. :)

Vbulletin 4 is around the corner. Supposedly a complete revision.......just a thought.

·
Registered
411 Posts
the ownerbase and concerns between the generations is vast.

example:

r32/33/34 = way more technical and involved, engines, tuners and the likes
r35= satnav, 1k quid oil changes, light upgrades, warranty, gearbox

completely different ownerbase, completely different cars.

personally, i liked this forum a lot better than the ones with higher traffic because its (was) structurally correct.

my .2

·
Vendor
12,625 Posts
Summed up perfectly and better than I could have :thumbsup:
I feel that whilst some 35 owners may not be interested in the 'Heritage' that given time they would eventually start to read other threads and then perhaps engage in some cross chat.
I remember when i first joined the forum that it seemed to take me ages to get people to talk to me on line, reply to my threads and acknowledge me as a forum member.
So i say give it some time and leave it as it was, these new users are still a minority and just need more time to intergrate.

Just my views, feel free to shoot me down but its early days yet for these guys.

There isnt a button for this LOL!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Can I just answer some typical view points about R35 owners.

I like all GT-Rs and Skylines. I'm also sure most R35 owners know about previous generation cars - but that doesn't mean we want to discuss them all the time. Hope that comes over as very fair.

Also, sure that most owners are not one car wonders - I personally will be keeping my car for some time.

If integration is a problem - surely owners meets and other such events are the places for this?

·
Banned
2,230 Posts
If integration is a problem - surely owners meets and other such events are the places for this?
that was one of the main reasons for the change. As many a 35 owner has confirmed they only ever read the 35 section, and simply didn't check the meetings sections or read about meets etc posted in the Skyline sections

we don't want to have to repeat every thread just to involve them

I had suggested an "r35 chat section" for idle 35 chat about sat navs and wheel jacks etc

a " gtr chat section" for things like ring times, heritage etc

and a "skyline chat section" for skyline chat

but is 3 better than 2?

Mook

Mook

·
Registered
438 Posts
that was one of the main reasons for the change. As many a 35 owner has confirmed they only ever read the 35 section, and simply didn't check the meetings sections or read about meets etc posted in the Skyline sections

we don't want to have to repeat every thread just to involve them

I had suggested an "r35 chat section" for idle 35 chat about sat navs and wheel jacks etc

a " gtr chat section" for things like ring times, heritage etc

and a "skyline chat section" for skyline chat

but is 3 better than 2?

Mook

Mook
Don't know if it will be better or not - but worth a try.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I voted to keep it integrated because that's the way I'd like it, because I'm interested in all the cars - but then that's just me.

However I'm not at all suprised a lot of the new-to-GTR owners aren't in the least interested in the older cars or the RB chat so let them have their own section.

I posted the Bruntingthorpe event info in the 35 chitchat section - at first there was no reply or interest shown but after some hard sell eventually a few people signed up then some more and eventually the best individual model turn out on the day was from the 35 owners.

So long as everyone is reminded to look in Meetings and Events even if that means duplicate posts then those that want to, will become part of the GTROC and GTR community.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I have chosen the old form,i did like it much more......:wavey:

I mean im reading all the threads which are important for me or interesting anyway...but it makes it easier to find threads and tbh,if someone is not interested in the old models,then it makes his community life even better as he is not frustrated when he opens the 3rd "old GTR" thread in a row......

@Blowdog and Mods: Really like the way you are doing all your work,allways having a open ear for us,that you cant make it after everyones taste,is normal,but your trying your best to do so:bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Poll Choices

Are a little misleading. Voting to change it back the way it was is not equal to only wanting to read about your own car. It's about organizing the threads in a meaningful way so it's easier to find the ones you are looking for... to be able to prioritize the time spent on the site.

Personally I have stopped coming to the site completely since the change, because when I have 15m, too much of that time was spent browsing threads that might be interesting if I had more time, just not right then. Also wrt the comment about "paying your taxes" to have your voice heard, the flip side is existing tax payers may decide it's not worth the bother and just stop... I know my renewal reminder came at exactly the "wrong" moment.

·
Registered
187 Posts
im a new r35 owner and i prefer this set up, i like to hear about some proper GTR talk, i agree that some of the talk in the r35 section is a bit pathetic and pointless (ive contributed enough to that lol) but now i think it might bring the the r35 owners together with the older skyline/GTR owners.
As regards a lack of threads regarding tuning and that on the r35 section the car hasnt even been out 6months and for alot of people its fast enough already. i know of one dealer that is already looking into engine mods for the r35 when ppl stop worrying about their warrenty.
i think the warrenty talk has died down now that people have got their cars but there is still that thought that if they did modify their cars and the transmission did blow nissan might slap a £18,000 price tag for a new one on us, £18,000 is a lot of money for me.
i voted to keep it as it is now :thumbsup:

·
Registered
535 Posts
My focus & Interest is mainly on the R35 GTR , before the change I used to look at the other car threads ocassionally but now view them a bit more so the move has been a sucess from where I sit :bowdown1:

I go to quite a few Car shows throughout the year not just Jap and always look out for GTRROC so as to admire all members cars, and I confess to never wanting to own any previous Skylines.

I would of thought most Petrol heads would show an interest in all the previous cars R32/ R33/ R34 :confused:

Rgds CJ

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I liked the old format just because it seemed easier to find what you wanted in the limited time you have but am also interested in all Skylines. New site if better organised with sections that are less broad would be my prefrence so you can home in on what you want quickly and then if you have time also look at other interesting posts

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.