GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

thoughts on the following please...

I'm considering a 32 GTR as a track car, and would like to import one, or get one cheap in the UK. But think it'll be cheaper to import as i dont need it road legal.

I'm not fussed on the engine spec, but dont want huge power, just sensible 350-400 maybe. If it has any susp/brake mods that'll be a bonus.

What sort of prices will i be looking at for a tatty looking but mech sound GTR?

Would you consider an Impreza Sti RA a better option for a track car?

·
Registered
213 Posts
You get around don't you?

About 5-6k for a slightly dogeared one with coilovers etc, 350-400 is pretty much standard ;)

RA is about 300kg lighter though... I'm breaking mine if you need any bits!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I would consider the Impreza RA over an R32 if it were just being used as a track car as brake/suspension components for an RA are a hell of a lot cheaper than an R32.

You can buy a set of Drilled and Grooved discs for an impreza for 150+VAT from Black Diamond IIRC Click ME and on the GTR you are looking at double that. As for the 4Pot on the R32, they just dont match up to the weight and power of these cars, so upgrades to the Factory Brembos are an option but again costly at that.

Also Tyres, normally on a GTR, if it has aftermarket alloys on the rubber sizes are normally 255mm wide, and again £150 for Toyo Proxes each corner.

It all depends on your situation, if you can budget to spend a lot of money on the car over the year, go for an R32, if your on a tight budget, I would consider the Impreza........

Dont shoot me down.

:)

P.S. Looking at your sig you have a Type R Impreza so why not strip that out as would make an even better Track car than the RA with its group N rally box and active diff.

·
Registered
213 Posts
RA is actually the better car - it has the DCCD, is lighter and stronger and has a front LSD whereas the R doesn't.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Aren't we talking chalk and cheese here?

The Impreza is a rally derived projectile more suited to the twisty stuff, the R32 GTR is a purpose made track car!

The RA will run out of puff well before the R32, 120mph ish as opposed to 155mph ish for standard cars!

No contest in my opinion.

BUT...There's no such thing as a cheap R32 for the track, period.

You get what you pay for, and you'll soon find out that 400bhp simply isn't enough :chuckle:

·
Registered
656 Posts
What's the point in importing a "cheap" R32 when there's plenty of "cheap" R32's already for sale in the UK. Granted, most of them are crap, but at least you'll be able to try before you buy!

Bog standard R32's attract very little interest from buyers, so there are some good cars out there for relatively little money.

I guarantee that you WILL want to modify it sooner or later, so you might as well get a modified car in the first place!

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear what your saying about costs on bits and bobs like brakes etc... It would not be a car thats used weekly on track... maybe 10 trackdays a year.

The STi R i have is too clean to strip and wreck LOL No way... plus the missus uses it as a daily, so she'd not be keen.

The budget isnt overly tight, but i'm not wanting to throw money away. Hence why i'm looking for a cheap base car to work on. Thats half the fun in my opinion.... building the car, seeing it progres, getting better on track as it goes along. Keeps it interesting :) BUT.... any mods that would be on it would be an initial bonus.

Import/UK - as i said..... if i can find a cheap one here, all the better!

No doubt i'll want more power in some time, but thats always the case.

·
Registered
656 Posts
tath said:
You hit 155mph on tracks regularly do you? :p
I didn't make that claim, and quite obviously it will depend upon the type of track, and spec of the car!

I'll leave it to the guys who use their R32 on track to give you an answer.

·
Registered
984 Posts
tath said:
RA is actually the better car - it has the DCCD, is lighter and stronger and has a front LSD whereas the R doesn't.
Didnt know the RA has DCCD, I stand corrected :)

Adam Kindness said:
The STi R i have is too clean to strip and wreck LOL No way... plus the missus uses it as a daily, so she'd not be keen.
Fair enough mate. When I come to move house and have to down grade to one car, I would buy a STi Type R.

GTR_Cymru made a good point about buying cheap R32's in the UK, as there are some. Why not ask some sellers if you could go out for a test drive in a car that had the spec you want to buy and test it.

:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Don't know but they seem helpful enough. My finger is twitching over buying one off them :D

That one has been repaired at the rear, but it's caged and the price is good, perfect track car IMO.

edit: can you see all the details without logging in? It's got coilovers etc.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts