GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New here and have a quick question for you guys:

A friend of mine owns a Japanese import business and I mentioned to him I was interested in an R34 v-spec.

He recons that he can get me a grade 4 (good condition) 99 R34 direct from his importers for £24k (his near cost price to me)

Does this sound to good to be true, as I’ve been looking on auto trader and can only find R34’s in the £30k price range?

Whats the typical market price at the mo for a Jap 99 R34?

Sorry for the lack of details, I’m all new to the skyline range! :D

Thanks, Matt.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Had similar quotes from completely genuine importer... But for a 1999 non-Vspec. Vspecs are dearer, probably in the £27-£30k bracket... It also depends on the price on the day. Mail me offline for details ([email protected])

- Jon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys.

I think i'll ask for some firm prices from him including specifications and see how they match up.

One more quick question - at the end of the day, is it harder to sell an imported car, v's a UK car?

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Matt,

Marginally so, yes. As you may know, the UK R34 has a host of goodies that the imports don't come with as standard, such as oil coolers and leather. (some you need, others you dont).

Having said that, my last 3 cars have been imports and I've had no problems. I've also specced mine up so it is in fact better than a UK car. Only thing that matters to some people apart from that is a warranty.

Cheers,

Cem

·
Registered
22 Posts
Current Dealer/Private (Since you cannot actually buy privately as such) prices in Japan for a 99 V-Spec range from 3,780,000 for an auction dog to 4,980,000 for a reasonable Nissan Red-Stage Dealer car... thats from 20k using 190-1GBP to 26k +taxes (in Japan I mean).

Just a note no real significance.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
As a guide, a 3,000,000 yen car becomes a £25k car in the uk by the time everything is added...

Import Duty is 10%
Vat is 17.5%
Freight is ~£1000
RFL & 1st Reg fee is £185
SVA Conversion work is £600 - £1200
eSVA test is ~ £190
Alarm is £300
Fee for import agent is £500-1000

The costs all mount up :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Private / Personal import doesn't cost that much.

The SVA cost is 165, 10% import duty is non-existant, agent fee is non-existant. Shipping and registration and RASS modification are the only things to worry about.
If you are in the know you can get that all done before the car leaves Japan, plus you get the 8% tax back from Japan...

Also you can get around some of the costs if you register it in another EU country, if you happen to know someone who lives there...

Just a thought...I am looking as I posted before to bring something back over with me when I am transferred to the European office.. the only question is what, and I have a time restriction due to the 6 month ownership clause for personal imports.

I cannot afford the R34 GTR V-Spec's but can afford the GTR standard car, or anything a little older, say Heisei 9 and under any suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts