GTR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having spent quite a bit of time looking at japenese import sites i still find it hard to figure out all the import jargon and costs. Can any one help me with any of the following questions.I,m assuming that there are a few out there that have taken these big steps and imported their skylines of their own backs (and thats to be applauded)

1. Taking as an example a 1995 model at £12,000 at auction, what would the total cost be approx to get it on my doorstep ?

2. Is there anyone that would advise against doing it and why ?

3. Are the clocks easily converted and where could i have them done ?

4. Can anyone recommend any importer/agents that they know to be good ?

I realise that this might be a bit of a boring thread but i am brand new to the skyline expierience and would appreciate any help that can be offered, thanks for taking the time out to read this and hopefully a few replies.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Importing

Hello Bob.

I was gonna go down the same root as yourself but after a bit of research ,I changed my mind and purchased one over here. At the time the price saving would have been under a grand after VAT,duty,freight,conversions,etc.

To offset this you will be buying a car that you have never actually seen or driven ,apart from piccies, and trusting someone else to buy you it .

There is also waiting for it to arrive ,SVA tests ,altough an agent can do it for you.....etc........

Do a search on the board and you will find alot more detailed info .

·
Registered
992 Posts
Importing

As Paul has said its a bit of a lottery, Not only is it buying the car, But sometimes the price then has to include Documentation and Transport to the port and Customs charges in Japan, This normally comes to another 90,000 yen(£600). then theres shipping about another $700 approx£600, then arrange a clearing agent anything from £100 omwards. then VAT and Duty which is together 27.5%(that is combining the car and the shipping costs). Once the car has cleared you then have to arrange the SVA test and if over 3 years old an MOT. this can cost anything of £500 plus (depending what is needed.) So it does add up so a car costing £12,000 at auction would roughly cost over here on the road around £18,500 approx(not so cheap then is it. and as Paul said you don't know what you have until it gets here. Hope this helps.

PaulP.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts