GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys'n'gals

obviously a lot of us are familiar with importing from Japan to find ourt pride and joy but has anyone imported from the UK to Australia? or has anyone had any dealings with exporting out of the UK?

I'm looking for an R34 GTR and whenever i want to see examples of outrageous (in a good way) R34's i always come here because you guys really don't hold back and there are a lot more 34 R's it seems than in Oz. I suppose the GBP makes things a lot more attractive :D

If costs are the same ex-Japan to ex-UK, i would seriously consider looking on the forum for a R34 as there seems to be a lot of very nicely modded examples, which is what i would be leaning towards as well.

If anyone has any experience with this (i know some cars get sent to other Euro countries, but we're talking sea freight with containers here) that would be great. Maybe even if there area any business traders on here that offer this service?

cheers,
daniel
Australia

·
Registered
135 Posts
Daniel,

I am an Aussie based in London for the last 7 years and did look at taking a car back to Oz. Was looking more at a 997 turbo or something similar as they depreciate much more quickly here in London than Oz.

My understanding was that for a personal import you must show you used it overseas (ie: outside Australia) for 12 months. Costs seem to be all on the Oz side (GST + import duty + LCT if applicable) and of course compliance costs.

Were you thinking of a personal import?

·
Registered
411 Posts
i havent seen more than 1-2 gtr's pop up for sale in the past 2 months, and the ones already there just dont sell until they drop to silly prices.

if you're considering the uk over japan you've been looking at the wrong places.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the for sale section has a heap of 34 R's at the moment?

ramsub, i was thinking just normal import and compliance, just like japan. But was looking at gtr.co.uk because i was after a modded example, and a lot of the for sale 34 R's fit that category. And buying off the forum here you get some sort of a history of the car, what the owner is like, etc. And if it's been looked after at a place like Abbey Motorsport, well... all these things add up to a tempting purchase.
I know i can get modded R's in Japan, but having some history of the car is nice as well

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I looked into this and it seems each par of Australia has different laws, however Skylines Australia guys gave me the info and just about any modding at all is frowned upon and the car would neeed to be taken back to stock to get through. This would have meant having all the stock parts ready to fit and then possible refit the performance parts when the car is legal.. I decided that it was to much work and i just didnt want to see my car looking sorry for itself with the stock parts fitted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts