GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm intending to import a GTR from Japan shortly - can anyone who has done it recommend a reliable and cost-effective way to go about it? I've looked at the Japanese auction sites, but wouldn't want to buy a car "unseen", and as I'm rather fussy as to the specification and so on, I don't want to buy a car that's on sale at an importer in the UK. Going to Japan in person may be possible, if it makes things smoother.
Additionally, has anyone had work carried out in Japan before shipping a car back (I'm assuming modifications are substantially cheaper over there)? Has Inoue-san from the Japanese Owner's Club set himself up in business yet?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Jap Cars

Take a shufty at the FAQ bit on the www.gtr.co.uk site, it gives some pointers... and names some people here who do these sorts of things.

As I understand it, you have to be a registered dealer to go to the Auctions in japan (I could be wrong, but I was told that!)

Shin is awaiting his papers from the embassy so has not set up yet, but would be a source of reputable cars .. he reads this site, so may answer.

- Joss

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
to import or not to import.That is the question!

Hello Peter.

I was thinking of importing,but after a little research I found out it was cheaper to buy over her at the time.I hve a friend who deals in imports,mainly mx5,micras,who went over to Japan to buy cars.Itold him if he comes across any skylines to give me a ring & maybe I'd buy it.He looked into the going rates & worked out ,once we'd paid for duty,vat,transport,etc,the prices were more or less identical!!However I'm talking about 95/96 gtr r33's.I don't actually know about the newer R34's.

I hope this helps

Paul

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yup, you seem to save about a grand or two.. which is about the air fare .. so unless you are holidaying in Japan, personally I'd let the professionals have the paperwork hassles.

wow .. that's 100 posts for me :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. My main reason for wanting to source one from Japan is the greater choice - I've also noticed that R33 prices appear to be dropping in the UK (there's a GTR on the Autotrader site for £12k :eek:, for example). Time to get on the phone, I think. Has anyone on the board had work carried out before importing a car?

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi there,

In fact, the proces of R33 GT-Rs are dropped, but please
find that you will need more money to overhaul and to
maintain the car you bought if you bought low price
used GT-Rs.

Shin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts