GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have an Impul ECU in my R33 which came with the car from Japan.
As far as I've read, it's just a chipped stock ECU, but I have no idea what it's optimized for and I'm thinking about putting a stock ECU in there instead.

Car is only mildly modded (filter, exhaust) and I will run it on 98RON fuel (maybe 99 if I have to). Should I keep the Impul ECU or change it?
Anyone know what mods and fuel it's optimized for and how much boost it's safe to run with it?

edit: pic of the ECU in question.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
It PROBABLY adds some timing at the risk of running into det, and will expect good fuel octane, it may weaken the top end to pull up the top end power a bit at the expense of catalyst life. It may allow a raised boost threshold. If you have good ears that are used to seeking out det, and are willing to throw the best fuel at it all the time you should see better performance. If Nissan thought it totally safe they'd have mapped the OE ecu similarly, so there will be a small element of risk, and running ANY engine harder shows a measurable reduction in its life, of course.

What's it optimised for? Making Impul money!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It PROBABLY adds some timing at the risk of running into det, and will expect good fuel octane, it may weaken the top end to pull up the top end power a bit at the expense of catalyst life. It may allow a raised boost threshold. If you have good ears that are used to seeking out det, and are willing to throw the best fuel at it all the time you should see better performance. If Nissan thought it totally safe they'd have mapped the OE ecu similarly, so there will be a small element of risk, and running ANY engine harder shows a measurable reduction in its life, of course.

What's it optimised for? Making Impul money!
out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say 'adds timing'? what is it doing?

kev

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
It will probably risk more ignition timing advance, Nissan will be fairly conservative to avoid det at all costs even on fairly poor fuel. It will alter the ignition map.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info :)
I'll have a look on how much the car boosts now after all the snow and ice clears over here.
That should give me an indication on what boost the previous owner used.
I'm pretty sure they run 100 octane fuel as premium in Japan, so should probably lower the jap-boost a bit as that fuel isn't available here.

Never experienced det. (except youtube vids) but I'll have a look around later when car is road-ready if there is someone local with experience and perhaps even some equipment to detect it easier :)

If anyone knows any more about this ECU please let me know.
I'll try contacting Impul, but I really don't expect much of an answer back lol.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Found some info on the japanese impul page.

Impul High power ECU

Edit: damn, you weren't fooling around when saying "Making Impul money!" Chris, lol. Expensive little bugger

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to update this thread now that I've got a reply from Impul Japan incase anyone else is running this ECU.

"Thank you for your inquiry.
Our ECU is set for 100 octane and the boost pressure is about 0.8 to 0.9 if
your car is before minor change. Also, the air filter must be ones which
are inter-changeable with Nissan genuine (using Nissan genuine box) and the
exhaust system within the regulations of car inspection in Japan.
We do not recommend using 98 octane gasoline but if the eingine is not
knocking, it will be fine.

Followings are features of Hi-Power Control Unit.
- Increase maximum power.
- Improve engine response and fuel consumption.
- Improve drivability with increase in mid-range torque.
- Cancellation of speed limiter.
- Increase boost pressure (turbocharged engine)
- Improve ignition timing and fuel injection throughout RPM band.
- Immobilizer function friendly."

·
Registered
932 Posts
I can supply you with one of our stage one chips that should plug straight into your ecu as if should now be socketed.

Our chip is optimised for 98ron fuel and has alot less ignition than most Japaneese modded ecu`s.

Here is a typical dyno sheet for one of our Stage 1 programs.

Richard

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Hi, I have an Impul ecu on my R33 GTR with no other engine mods that I can see other than a full Fujitsubo Giken Ti exhaust with decat and Blitz filters.
A dyno test gave just over 400hp at the flywheel at 1.0b.
I have been forced to use 97 on occasions with no trouble.
It is very smooth and screams up to 8000rev/min. I thoroughly recommend the set up and Impul are a high class company.
I'll let you know when I bust the engine. Best regards.

·
Registered
662 Posts
same here
ive a r32gtr impul ecu
as arrived from japan boosting at 1.2 bar
run it the last few years on optimax no problems goes quite well

last couple of weeks its been only boosting at .7bar
not sure what the problem is as it still pulls ok cleanly up to 8k
its just missing some bhp
.5 of a bars worth

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I'd never run anything like that without getting it checked for det first (rolling road, or on the road). I doubt you'd be able to hear det above exhaust/induction noise without det cans etc., certainly not until it was too late.

Compare the cost of a fueling/ignition check (and possible re-map) to an engine re-build...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts