GTR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure you heard this one before but here goes. I'm 19 and im off to Uni when im 20, when i get out of uni ill be 24 and have a job of at least 25 - 30 grand a year, or so says the uni. I was wondering what i would expect to pay for a used skyline gtr r34 m-spec or v-spec and what kind of insurance i should expect to be paying as i have wanted one of these cars for ages and theres a slight hope i could get one in the next 5 years, money permitting. i have a cunning plan that could get me cheaper insurance, as in get me mum (yes even at 25!) to also be insured with me on top of that, never know it might work just have to ship around for best deals. also are there engine upgrades available to increase fuel economy and what are the best tuning groups? no im not a "boy racer" i just lvoe the damn car.

Matt

PS: Whats a nissan 280sx turbo like?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
in years to come

in years to come when you have a job get back in touch.
until then dont waste our time with silly talk.
sorry but wise up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can dream cant i?
meanwhile cant you write something more contructive and helpful maybe.all i wanted to know was a average price of the mentioned car in 5 years to come, gees

·
Registered
719 Posts
To help answer your questions, it's very difficult to predict used car prices in the UK as there are so many variables that come into play over a 5 year timespan i.e. if the R35 is a dog, then the R34 may become more sought after, fuel prices, the insurance industry attitude towards them, economic climate etc etc etc.

Secondly the insurance companies are not stupid - if you put the policy in your mum's name they will still assess the risk of the named driver. This will also give them the opportunity to shaft you if you make a claim and they find out that you're the main driver. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to risk pissing thousands of pounds down the toilet. Also please don't insult the intelligence of the readers of this BBS by calling this plan cunning as it's very old hat. A slightly more cunning plan would be to buy yourself a normal everyday car, insure it so that you can drive other cars third party, buy a GT-R which only your mum is insured to drive ......(it doesn't take a genius to work out the rest - either way you're still risking losses depending on the type of claim you make but hey, desparate times call for desperate measures).

Finally, on the fuel consumption issue, I'm not even gonna try to respond to that. If you want fuel economy, get a Honda.

Hope this helps.

Talat.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I need help!

Dear Arseburger (very apt name).
It is daring of you to make a post with that car (I remember my MG metro well, but keep it quite these days).
I decided one day that my Renault 19 16v had crap traction so I wanted something better. I spent 6 months buying Top Marques and scanning the ads for a car I could afford. When I found it, I bought it within 5 days. THEN I asked for help off the message board and these guys have a wealth of info.
what I am saying is, that it not worth thinking of serious questions until the cash is in the bank.
I used to dream of a skyline and now own one (but not a 34!).
See you here in 6 years time.
Read all of the threads and you will find most of your questions answered.
fuel economy.....forget it!
Dave

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Fuel Economy??

Wrong car for fuel economy!! Maybe in a few years you can tell the rest of us how an LPG coversion for you GTR will perform :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Banned
349 Posts
can't resist replying

Skip Uni, get a life, get a job and buy a 32 for 10k.

Problem solved!

Insurance 10k! or put your A series engine from your metro in it!

Kind regards

Jamie M.

( with two Skylines!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers people and sorry

cheers for the replies guys and sorry to that guy i kinda slagged off,l maybe an r34 is a bit of a long way off for me and many others but you never know, maybe i should win the lottery or something. to any owners what is the urban mpg of an 33? since they never state it on the car reviews.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
MPG

As it has previously been stated fuel economy forget it .
My 33 returns about 20 on a sensible run up the m/way around town who knows!
It all depends on the state of tune !!!! as well
Don't worry about fuel
When you own one just fill it up when it reads empty, its that easy.
Best regards :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
Life lessons for under grades

Matt,

You young pup, if you still want to buy a skyline in five years, (after Uni) here’s a general rule of thumb that friend in the motor trade told me: ;)

The average rate of depreciation for a car in top condition, average or below mileage, and FSH, is half the new price every 3 years. :eek:

So if a new car costs $10,000 (I don’t have a GBP sign on my keyboard) in 3 years a well-kept model should be worth $5,000 and in 6 years $2,500. :mad:

There are exception like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Skoda, etc and Skylines. Skylines seem to depreciate very highly at first then tails of after 2-3 years. :confused:

Hope this helps. Good luck with your studies, and hope to hear from you again in 5 years. :)

Paul.

·
Registered
534 Posts
depreciation

It takes about 7-10 years for a Ferrari to halve in value :( but it's unlikly to ever halve again. :) ... then again it starts rather expensive ... then again thank God you didn't buy an Aston!

FYI my R34 gets 17mpg around town 20-24mpg crusin' on the motorway and close to zero on a track :)

BTW you can get a £ sign byt holding down Alt and entering 156 on the numeric key pad ... also the html code is & then the word pound and then a ;

£

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts