GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I have some opinions on Induction Kits please ?

I am looking for one and would like to know which kits people recommend.
It would be good to see if the big power boys are using different stuff to the more normal 400ish bhp cars

Also has anyone used/experimented with a proper Ram-Air type system ?

I would like to get the best possible kit that will give me the best performance increase.

Price is not an issue.

Cheers :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

Very informative stuff !

Does anyone know where I can get an Apexi induction kit ?

I phoned Tuning Japanese but they said that Apexi does not make one for the Skyline :confused:

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
The Apexi Power Intake costs around 30 000 yen for GTRs. That includes the 2 funnels and 2 spare filter elements. You have a choice of either black or chrome for the metallic part of the funnel. As PeterE said there are no piping kits included but they make 3 different length ones which you can buy seperatly.

I'm still trying to check if its possible to fit the Apex funnels onto an HKS power flow piping kit! Anyone??

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Jez,

The Apexi and HKS induction kits are about the same money (£300) and include the adaptor pipes from the air flow meters to mount the filters. After readings Scott's analysis of the various types, I reckon I'm going to change from HKS to Apexi soon.

Peter.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Hi Dino,

Seems we posted at exactly the same time. :)

I think that the Apexi kit is part #538-N061 which includes the pipes from the stock 80mm af meters and costs 48,000 yen.

I see they also do a carbon induction box part #515-N001 at 79,000 yen.

Another Apexi dealer is DP Motorsport in Warrington.

Peter.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Peter,

I really like that carbon air box but there is absolutely no way I'm paying that money for it! I might have a similar one made when I get my rear diffuser fins done....save 50% or more!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys.

I was torn between the HKS and Apexi kits and have finally decided on the Apexi one.

I'll let you know how much of a difference it has made once I've had it fitted ........................ :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to Option Motorsport today and they were very helpful.

They said they have them available in stock and can deliver within a day or 2.

I'm not sure if they would want me to quote prices for them on the net but it's not gonna cost me any more than the other kits on the market, i.e under £300 excl VAT.

I'll be ordering mine in the next few days :)

I've got a couple fo good mechanic friends so fitting it shouldn't be a problem.

The next thing is to construct some kind of cold air ducting device to get loads of cold air to the filters.

Any ideas ??

·
Registered
404 Posts
Apexi Ducting

Jez,

I’ve fitted the Apexi system myself in about 2 hours; :eek: I’m a networking engineer and the world’s worst mechanic so if I can do it anyone can. :) one mechanic even told my wife 'never let him touch any car's again'. :D

There’s no need to buy any air ducts for the Apexi system. You can use the front part of the original Nissan air box. :)

When I get my car back from a local Nissan dealer (they’re still trying to figure out how to change the clutch after 2 weeks :rolleyes: ) I’ll send you a picture.

Paul.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A picture would be good - I have yet to see one actually fitted to a skyline.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much difference it makes to the cars performance.

I presume the front part of the air box is easily removable and stays in place without the back section attached ?

Now all I need is a nice rear section for my exhaust .........
I have Trust front pipe and de-cat but am still unsure on which back section to get.

It seems more power = more loudness with Blitz being loudest but best for power.
I want the exhaust that will give me the most power possible but don't want something that is going to be unbearable on long journeys or too embarrasing in traffic .............:confused:

I was hoping the Dyno Day 2 results would shed some light on this but I have yet to see a good comparison between mods and power anywhere.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Blitz exhaust

Jez

The Blitz exhaust that I have (got it from Abbey) has a removable baffle in the back box. It can be taken out or put in in about 30 seconds with nothing more than a 10mm spanner.

I think this is a very good idea and I normally have the thing out when doing local trips.

However anything over about 30 miles with it out will probably give you a thumping headache (it did for me anyway) as the difference in noise is quite marked (as is the difference in power :D )

Chris

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris,

do you know how many decibels your blitz exhaust runs with and without the silencer device fitted ?

I am just trying to check that if I get one I'm not gonna be too loud for some of the more tightly controlled track days.

Do you know how it compares to the HKS Hiper Muffler as regards to noise :mad: and power :D ??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Blitz Nur-Spec

Mine has a cat-back Blitz Nur-Spec (no bolt-in silencer that I could ascertain), and even with the cat and stock front pipes, it's loud. Judging from the number of twitching curtains and opening doors, the neighbours don't like it either, especially when it sets their car alarms off... :)

I think I'll have to get something quieter when I replace the front pipes and cat, but I'd like to get something other than the usual Hiper/Super Drager. Anyone know who stocks Kakimoto or Ganador?

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts

Jez/Pete H,

I have no experience with the TRUST pipe.

But I do with HKS. I have a Hyper Muffler, (De-Catted + Downpipes), and
I love the sound of it. There are no nasty 3k resonance that some get,
(Very anoying on long runs), once up to speed things get quite in the cabin,
enough to have a quite softly spoken conversation if you wish.

Under load the sound get louder and at between 5/6k to 8k there is a fantastic
trumpeting sound rather like a 70's race car or MacLaren F1, (If you have heard one).

The Hyper Muffler is the cheaper of the HKS models, but offer greater power
gains for moderatly modified cars, when compared to the Dragger.

Dragger is bigger pipe size, but is quieter than the Hyper, but costs 200 quid odd
more than the Hyper.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts