GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys...just purchased a 13 plate gtr. 550 totally standard. but looking for some advice...

i am looking for a little more sound without changing the tailpipes....if i was to get the y pipe fitted and while i am at it may as well get the stage 1 upgrade. would i get better exhaust sound? my gf's rs3 sounds more meaty ha

would the stage 1 upgrade affect warranty ?

the tyres are nitro filled. looks like i may need 2 new rear's soon so should i do away with getting them nitro filled again?

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
1. The Y pipe adds more noise. If you get non-resonated it's louder and you may get more drone at 65-75mph.

2. Any mods can effect warranty. You are pushing more power out of the car than Nissan did. But they are generally reliable at higher power levels.

3. I doubt you'll really notice the difference. It's a bit of a gimmick in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I agree, with a Y-pipe you'll probably get the noise you want AND the noise you probably don't want especially with a non-res. As for the nitrogen fill, some tyre places will try and tell you its a must or it voids the warranty at an extra cost of a tenner. Like already said you won't notice the difference...unless you're Michael Krumm! :)

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I agree, with a Y-pipe you'll probably get the noise you want AND the noise you probably don't want especially with a non-res. As for the nitrogen fill, some tyre places will try and tell you its a must or it voids the warranty at an extra cost of a tenner. Like already said you won't notice the difference...unless you're Michael Krumm! :)
Spend a bit of time listening to some of the different exhausts, I for one jumped in and got a non-res ypipe which was good, then downpipes which made way too much noise and drone. Now I am on downpipes and silenced ypipe. Always a couple of ypipes up for sale 2nd hand.... If unsure I would go 2nd hand and test.

As for the Nitrogen, it made a difference in SA (when it got stupidly hot), but dont really notice it here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all info guys ;)

i will got for a reonated y pipe then maybe downpipes if i still want more noise ;)

after searching there is y pipes that are non-res and have no drone. but best play it safe i think.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
No drone is a bold claim and depends on your opinion.
Less drone is probably more like it.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Yes imo with bolt on pipes there is always some drone. Like most I had a non-res milltek Y-pipe and there was still some drone at 70'ish, depends on what level of drone you can put up with. I think the only way to avoid it is to keep stock exhaust or go for a bespoke pipe from someone like Russ Fellows, members response on the forum suggests his gives one of the best results for sound and least drone

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have just taken off a unres' Japspeed YPipe, i am actualy missing the drone,,

The New Russ Fellows system sounds great but thinking to have the resenators cut out of it to up the drone a bit,,,

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
I have a MY11 with y pipe, 102mm downpipes and k&n panel filters and had Litchfields stage one map with the new Motorsport gearbox software and what a difference absolutely sky and ground difference, very pleased indeed, ran 11.01 @ 131.04mph at the pod about 4 weeks ago

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Drone is always related negatively, I actually enjoy the drone, cruising on the motorway the drone is just right just to remind me what I'm driving while alerting other cars as I pass of my presence :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Drone is OK.Its really not that bad even with unresonated pipe IMO. Guess it would get tiresome on a long motorway journey if you stuck to exactly 65-70 the whole journey but who does that?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Drone is OK.Its really not that bad even with unresonated pipe IMO. Guess it would get tiresome on a long motorway journey if you stuck to exactly 65-70 the whole journey but who does that?
Certainly not me, I find 40-50mph a much safer speed ;)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Drone is always related negatively, I actually enjoy the drone, cruising on the motorway the drone is just right just to remind me what I'm driving while alerting other cars as I pass of my presence :)
Quality Answer Dean!!!:bowdown1:

:eek:Ive just sold my RS4 and had Milltek downpipes (no cats) and a non res no valve Milltek zorst....Yes it woke the dead when it fired up from cold, yes there was drone from 1800rpm to 2400rpm but when doodling around town it was quiet and refined......until you hit the loud pedal.....then heads turned, kids screamed and grannies run for cover!!!!!!!:eek:

I need to replicate that in my GTR so likely to opt for a Milltek 90mm non res race zorst, de-cat downpipes but will possibly retain the OE tips.....Im assuming that these tips bolt on to the end of the zorst so can, if required be changed???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just booked it in for the Russ fellows y pipe :) seems like the best option after researching.

Just gutted i can't have a map due to warranty :( really think it needs more power lol

·
Registered
484 Posts
Quality Answer Dean!!!:bowdown1:

I need to replicate that in my GTR so likely to opt for a Milltek 90mm non res race zorst, de-cat downpipes but will possibly retain the OE tips.....Im assuming that these tips bolt on to the end of the zorst so can, if required be changed???
Not sure about Milltek, but the tips on the Russ Fellows are a welded part of the exhaust

·
Vendor
480 Posts
Not sure about Milltek, but the tips on the Russ Fellows are a welded part of the exhaust
Our (ACS/RF) exhaust can be made to carry the O.E exhaust tips if requested (change to rear silencer exits) for a real stealth performance upgrade :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts