GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and i don't own a GTR ( yet / hopefully ).

So I've come here to try find out some information about running costs from day to day and how much you put away per month, hope that doesn't sound cheeky but any information you guys can give me would be great!.

So Here is my story of trying to get one,

My plan is to get a 2nd hand 2009/2010 model for around £35,000k/38.000 which will have around 20k to 30k miles on the clock, right now i have £15,000 of my own money which i have been saving over the past 3 years, But i have also got £25,000 which has been given to me from past family.

I look at getting it after xmas so by this point i'm hoping to save another £5,000, which i will use for insurance / Road tax, the rest i will use incase i need new tyres etc etc.

I have set a budget of £1000 a month for overall running costs,

£450 a month for petrol.

£250 a month as i only plan on keeping the GTR for a year, so i want to put money away so when it comes to selling it i'm not losing out on too much.

£300 a month for servicing / speeding tickets :).

I'm pretty much going all in with this but i feel it will be worth it.

So for the people who own one, do my numbers sound about right for the monthly costs ?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you're planning on keeping it for only a year then I would buy a stage 4 car or one that already has the mods you would like - but maybe you are planning on buying a stock car and keeping it that way?
Finding a car with the tyres and brakes in good condition will save you quite a bit.
also consider a litchfield warranty for peace of mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Luke,

Thanks very much for getting back to me.

I was thinking stock as I'm guessing a staged one is going to cost even more to run and bring more problems? Also i was thinking when it comes to selling it more people would be looking for a stock GTR, i could be wrong mind you.

Yeah I've heard a lot about litchfield, I heard nissan will charge you double of what litchfield will, so I will be using them and also buying from someone who has.

Thanks for the information and if you have anymore you would be willing to share that would be great!.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The best advice is to go and see/test drive alot of cars before you buy - you'll quickly get a feel for whats a well cared for example and whats not.

A summary of things to look out for are:

non sat nav are from April 09, sat nav from Sept 09 - they have Nissan calipers with blue dust caps. Sat nav cars are generally a bit more expensive.

A local Nissan HPC can supply FlickR ECU data – gives alot of information on the car; number of launches, high trans oil temps, etc

Service History:
Performance optimization should be done at 1500 miles
2009/10 car are supposed to be serviced every 6000 miles/6months (every 18k service includes transmission fluids)

Check the condition of paint as it is soft & prone to damage, especially stone chips on the front end.

Also watch for front bumper lip scrapes/damage

Check for cracks in the brake discs

Check wear on break pads

Check wear on tyres – inner edge. Nissan recommends Bridgestone or Dunlop Runflats (RE070R, 600DSST) but alot of owners use MPSS non-runflats

Check the interior as the metal effect can scratch off

A quick search on the above will throw you up a wealth of information on here.

A staged car will add a little bit to running costs but it wont be too much, the smiles per gallon will make up for the lack of mpg. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree with Luke37 and the checks he has suggested. When you find the one GT-R that you like you can take or ask the owner to take it to an NHPC, and £100+VAT they can carry out a complete mechanical health check on the car. Thats exactly what I did on my one. If you think thats a bit steep or there isnt one local to you or the car, you give on of the recommend (on here) service centres and find out there prices.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the information Luke and Knightwing23.

I hope to have one within the next 6 months, So i will keep you posted (if you care) :).

But thanks again guys, i hope to be joining the GTR group soon ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts