GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting a few quotes on having my injectors checked and cleaned. So far the cheapest is injectorcleaning.co.uk. After a quick chat on the phone they didn't recognise the 444cc injectors of the skyline and hence may not have the necessary serviceable parts for it. Basically I would be looking at £11.75 ea plus carriage.

Another place has quoted £15 ea.

Both places have an ASNU machine.

Has anybody else had experience with injector cleaning services and could possibly recommend someone?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Not used them for injector cleaning, but Abbey Motorsport do injector cleaning and have the appropriate equipment.

Cheers,

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Has anyone noticed any improvements after cleaning? Do petrol injectors get clogged that often? My car is a 1994 on original injectors and I'm trying to get to the bottom of a hesitation on a warm start when water temps go from 30C to 60C where timing retards to 10 degrees. Mines modified ECU.

Plugs where fouling (iridium heat range 8). I've since moved to some copper NGK heat range 7 and they look better. This all started after fitting an oil cooler and winter setting in. Oil temps are hardly getting past 70 which probably explains a much cooler combustion chamber and hence fouling plugs. Also fuel economy has reduced, yet wideband lambda is reporting 14.7 on light throttle cruising and around 13 on full boost high revs. I can only think injectors are leaking, or poor spray patterns.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If you haven't got a thermostatic oil cooler, try covering up the face of the cooler so no air flows through itand see if the situation improves.

Remember the oil is sprayed on the pistons to aid cooling and too cold oil will create sludge in the engine.

Cheers,

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MarkM3, yup its got a mocal thermostat which I think is set to 85C, but they always flow a little oil and totaly agree that the cooler oil being sprayed up the bottom of the pistions is cooling the combustion to the point where I need a hotter plug.

Just wondering if there is any mileage in cleaning injectors? Has anyone experienced improvements? Are they prone to clogging considering they flow a fluid that is very clean.

It will be about £90 quid from Abbey to just look at them and a further £5 per injector if they change any parts. This is a bit steep considering others I've called. Also I don't really want to spend any money on something that isn't broken.

3,665 Posts
Injector cleaning

Have a look on our website,,,,,,,,,,http://www.abbeymotorsport.co.uk/site_flash/injector_cleaning.html.......bear in mind that the set with the poor spray pattern are brand new units straight out of the box and form your own opinion!
We always test new injectors as a matter of course and I think I would be conservative if I said that well over 50% of s/hand injectors we clean are faulty in one way or another.
Wether you will "feel" the difference I wouldnt like to say but your engine will appreciate it if the flow rates were more than 5% different.
As regards the cost I think you are misleading people when you say that we charge £15 each to "look at them". Does mounting them up in the machine and carrying out a flow test at different pressures and duty cycles constitute "looking at them" ........I dont think so.
As regards the cost, I dont think our charges are "A bit steep". The service is worth every penny.
Of course you will find someone to do them cheaper, its a competitive world, but wether you would get the service and experience is another matter.

Tony

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Tony

Maybe I've been misunderstood here. When I said looking at them I mean to test them which would be to hang them in an ASNU machine and do the respective tests which would give an indication of condition of the injector. This wasn't aimed specifically at Abbey as my first post also listed someone else at £15 (viaduct services). Abbey came up as it was recommend by MarkM3.

This made me wonder if it is actually worth it, hence the follow up post asking for other owners experience and if its worth shelling out the money.

I'm sure you offer a top rate service. I just would not like to spend a potential £120 + carriage on injector cleaning&service and find no difference. Would anyone?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
If I bought second hand injectors I certainly would get them checked out before fitting, fwiw.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
abbey, are you able to then "fix" any injectors with poor spray patterns etc or is it a case of replacing the bad injector as i will need a set doing in a couple of months

3,665 Posts
Injectors

Ram Rod

Reading your earlier post I would be suprised if you had an injector problem!

If your car is running afr,s in the 13,s on boost you have a serious fuelling /ecu/ management problem. If you run it as lean as that you will soon need a piston or two!!!!!!!!!!!!.

GTR-LOZ

If they have a mechanical or electrical problem then no they probabley cant be rejuviated. But in 90% of cases the ultrasonic cleaning and vigorous operation does the trick. A bit of a gamble I know but worth it in the long run

Tony

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll double check my AFR figures. Its certainly fouling up plugs and also running rubbish 20mpg on light driving. It could be I'm mistaken and its low 13 high 12's on boost (12psi).

3,665 Posts
I'll double check my AFR figures. Its certainly fouling up plugs and also running rubbish 20mpg on light driving. It could be I'm mistaken and its low 13 high 12's on boost (12psi).
Have you checked the inlet manifold gaskets? spray some brake cleaner around the inner part of the plenum.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gtr-loz, I've checked the O2 using the debug port on the ECU. I built a consult cable and it all checks ok. The car also went through an MOT fine.

Tony, Inlet gaskets changed last year so not really expecting any problems there. Its making good vacuum and idle is spot on. I did find the small hose to the factory boost sensor split, but repaired it about 3 months ago. No change.

I haven't checked fuel pressure and not sure how right now. I haven't read how to do it, but I expect it will involve either taking it to a garage or buying some expensive gauges! I've not really read of anyone having a failed regulator, usually its the fuel pump that goes.

I've checked MAFs by covering one at a time, then swapping them over and repeating. No change between the 2. I watched the result on consult interface so could read the voltage off and record it. I noticed that one turbo flows more air than the other, I expect this is normal.

3,665 Posts
gtr-loz, I've checked the O2 using the debug port on the ECU. I built a consult cable and it all checks ok. The car also went through an MOT fine.

Tony, Inlet gaskets changed last year so not really expecting any problems there. Its making good vacuum and idle is spot on. I did find the small hose to the factory boost sensor split, but repaired it about 3 months ago. No change.

I haven't checked fuel pressure and not sure how right now. I haven't read how to do it, but I expect it will involve either taking it to a garage or buying some expensive gauges! I've not really read of anyone having a failed regulator, usually its the fuel pump that goes.

I've checked MAFs by covering one at a time, then swapping them over and repeating. No change between the 2. I watched the result on consult interface so could read the voltage off and record it. I noticed that one turbo flows more air than the other, I expect this is normal.
How did you read air fuel ratio? was it using the datascan and the stock narrow bands?

Re checking the AFM,s as above have you driven the car and logged the AFM voltages? these seem to glitch at a certain voltage , they will not then throw a fault up in the ECU, but I do know they wear out , you bolt a new pair of AFM.s on a car and it will pick up 20/30 bhp and drive far better.

Mark

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Mi Mark

To check the narrowband O2 sensors I logged the data from the ECU. When cruising they both oscillated between 0 and 1V and according to the wideband the AFR was between 14.6 to 14.8. They appeared to switch cleanly but I'll go back over the data again and make sure there isn't any short runt pulses.

3,665 Posts
The AFR was 14.6 to 14.8
narrow band 02 sensors are only any good around the lambda 1 , to read AFR when under full load you need a wide band O2 guage , you can't read AFR under load with a narrow band full stop , doesnt read correctly.

Had a car on the dyno the other day full load misfire which would clear once the car had some heat soak , traced the problem back to a dirty injector, cleaned and flowed the injectors, had to tweak the whole map as the car run rich after cleaning injectors kind of shows that the injectors was not flowing the correct amount of fuel.

Mark

1 - 20 of 32 Posts