GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would any one be able to tell me what sort of intake temperatures would be the starting point of getting to high ?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I had upto 33 degrees today, but don't know if that was bordering insanity!!

Although was sitting in traffic for a while

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:flame: mine seems to sit around 50'c alot in this weather , (standard intercooler) did'nt know how bad that temp might b especialy when driving hard ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
The temperature sensor on the R33 GTR is on the inlet manifold and so is the R32 AFAIK. The R34 has it on the piping after the intercooler AFAIK.

On the R33 GTR the inlet manifold gets hot as it's metal and directly connected to the engine and so the temperature sensor. On light throttle openings the temperature sensor reads high due to the high temperature of the inlet manifold. Once you get a large throttle opening for a period of time the air flow cools the inlet manifold and measured inlet temperatures come down. I would imagine the R32 suffers the same problem but the R34 doesn't due to the better location of the temp sensor.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes indeed.

The whole induction system is either bolted to the cylinder head, or flooded with hot air from the radiator, or both. The pipework itself will always reach 50 to 80C, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about that.

Idling in traffic, induction temperatures will be well up, but it does not really matter.

When you floor it, the much cooler air from the intercooler travels through that hot pipework in a fraction of a second, hardly touching the sides, and not picking up significant heat on the journey. That is what really matters, induction temperatures at full throttle.

It varies a bit, but five to ten degrees Celsius above outside ambient is realistic measured immediately after the intercooler. More than that, and the intercooler is not doing it's job, less than five degrees is achievable, but it is very difficult, and probably not worth the trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts