GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

While rebuilding the drivers side drive shaft i've noticed the snap ring is missing off the inner cv joint. The ring that stops the driveshaft popping out.

I've scoured the net for a part code or place to source one with no luck.

Anyone know where I can get one from or what the part number is?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hi all,

While rebuilding the drivers side drive shaft i've noticed the snap ring is missing off the inner cv joint. The ring that stops the driveshaft popping out.

I've scoured the net for a part code or place to source one with no luck.

Anyone know where I can get one from or what the part number is?
when you buy a new driveshaft rubber boot from nissan there is a snap ring in the boot kit ..

i 'm not sure if you can buy them seperately though

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Is it the one that pops in to the front diff?
If it is, the ring is located inside the diff, and not on the cvjoint.

Asim

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i'm looking for the ring on the end of the diff. would be surprised if it came with a boot kit. Assume the included ring is for the end of the drive shaft.

Looks like i'm going to need a new cv joint.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
yeah i'm looking for the ring on the end of the diff. would be surprised if it came with a boot kit. Assume the included ring is for the end of the drive shaft.

I dont think you understand.

The ring / clip is located INSIDE the diffspline, NOT on the driveshaft.
I doubt you have lost it, just put the driveshaft back and it should lock up fine.

Asim

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

" If it is, the ring is located inside the diff, and not on the cvjoint.

Asim [/quote]

did you read asim's post ..?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seeing as we are on the topic of those rings, has anyone experienced one that wont release the cv? as I had to replace boot with cv outer still solid in the diff recently, and am dreading if i have to take the motor out. But can confirm ring definatly stays in the diff.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
It can be a pain to get the driveshaft out from the diff, ive managed to do it with 2 big screwdrivers, and pop it out.
If not, you have to take the front diffcover off, and use a screwdriver and push it out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If it is, the ring is located inside the diff, and not on the cvjoint.

Asim

Are you 100% sure?

Actually I've just dropped my engine this week-end and getting this shaft out was a true nightmare. Removing the front diff cover was both good news and bad news for me. Good news war I have a front LSD. Great. Bad news: how the **** will I pop the shaft out as long as I can't reach its end???? :nervous:

Finally I found a solution a get this shaft out. At last. But I was kinda surprised to see the snap pin groove at the end of the male spline, but no snap ring. I own a Sunny GTIR which is made the same way (driveshaft speaking) and on this cas, the snap ring goes out with the driveshaft.

So you're saying that I have to cool down, relax, and stop thinking about dismantling my whole front diff to get this snap ring out? (would defo be great!)

Jon

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
You haver to assume the worst and that the ring has come off and is inside the LSD section of the front diff, so it needs dismantling. So long as you put EVERYTHING back as it came out (all shims if used in the same places, all bearings etcetera) it should be quick and straightforward. You need to ensure it's not floating about in there though, it could do a LOT of damage, even be dangerous. If it was left off you need to buy and fit a new one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive had 4wd rb's out numerous times and am yet to see that little ring, it has stayed in the diff every time and i have never had any problem, so i would be pretty confident to say it stays in the diff. And looking at the workshop manual backs up this theory with it showing that the circlip stays in the side gear. If anyone wishes to question this leave you email and il forward you a screenshot of the picture showing what i have explained.

:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts