GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
It is well-known that a standard getrag input shaft tends to twist if car is launched from high revs. At the same time supras never twist it even if launched on slicks and even on glue. These transmissions have a lot of common parts, even a repair manual from supras is used to repair BNR34 getrags. What if we take this input shaft from Toyota V160 and put it to our getrag? Yes, we would need to use a different clutch and some drifters proved it would fit. Nismo 26 spline costs heaven and hard to find, while supra's shaft is $100. Supra's shaft is 14 spline and a lot thicker.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Be easyer to get than a nismo shaft!
I have both a nismo shaft and a standard shaft! If anyone has the dimentions of a supra shaft ill do my two!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Found the following data:

Supra V160/V161 - 14 spline 30.8mm thick.
BNR34 stock getrag - 24 spline 1 inch (2.54cm) thick
Nismo input shaft - 26 spline. Don't know how thick.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right so you'll have to use the friction plates to Toyota ones.
Right. But a lot of drifters use supra getrags with RB25/RB26 engines, so I guess crankshaft bolt pattern is the same or can be modified?
The problem with Nismo shaft is not only it is expensive and hard to find, but you have to use just a couple of clutch kits like Nismo GMax or OSGiken for 26 spline (does it fit?). If you want to use a carbon clutch f.e., what to do?
If Toyota input shaft fits we can use a lot of different clutches with no problem.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Nismo spline and a Toyota shaft are the same diameter and spline number! The same as the holinger.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to drifters, crankshaft bolt patterns are the same but is not confirmed yet.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, final data:

Getrag from Supra: 14 teeth and 30.8mm dia.
Stock getrag from BNR34 - 24 teeth and 25.4mm.
Nismo clutch -26 teeth and 27.5mm.
Crankshaft bolt patterns seems the same, so a clutch from 2JZ can bolt on to RB26.
So, the idea can be useful, need to check :)

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Bit funny that as I used a Toyota input shaft to line up my hollenger splined clutch!

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
As I'm at home at the moment I can't check the shaft size or teeth number!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aaaaahhh, the world is not that simple :-(
2JZ has 8 bolts on crankshaft, while RB26 six :-(
Drifters are making some soft of adapters. :-(

Stock 2JZ flywheel:

And BNR34 flywheel:

Epic fail :-(

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
The supra centre plate with its 14 tooth does look a lot stronger. Wonder why Nissan went for a weaker design bearing in mind that the 4wd system would put more load during a hard launch, was it so they could then try and sell an uprated item for more money?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts