GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got 2 used 300 Zx Mass Air sensors for 175 dollars, used. And it tooks some time to get them to fit, but finally did it. You can totally tell the size difference. I changed the setting inside my Apexi to the ''30''' engine. Is there anything else I need to changed over? Seems to run a hair rich at idle( I am getting a .9 voltage reading from my O2 sensors) and am wondering if I should lean out the percentage reading within the Apexi or the Milliseconds next to it on the injector screen? Seems to run real good! I wasn't getting a knock at all at 1.2 bar previous to this change over. Now I get a small one at around 7300 RPM. Hard to get one at my altitude, so little oxygen here (5230 feet, a little over a mile above sea level). Now with this extra air flowing I am probable maxing out my stock fuel injectors. If anyone else has done this upgrade please write respond to this page, with any help.
H.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi,

I have an article on this in 'High Performace Imports, GTR Special 2' magazine. Doesn't tell you a great detail about the adjustments required, but it does say the standard response curve from the 300zx meters is quite different from the Stock R33 ones and therefore the whole map needs to be reprogrammed.

I can try and scan the article in if you want a read??

(But as I said it doesnt actually detail the exact steps involved, just that they had a great performance gain at the end of it! :) )

Alex

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
H,

As you know, the PFC has a setting for these arm's (Air Flow - 80 dia. VG30 Air-F) so I would presume it accounts for these when you select this setting. I shouldn't worry about running rich at idle as the oxygen sensors will be in open loop at idle. Get her warm and hold revs at 2k when she'll go into closed loop, the O2 sensors should fluctuate between 0.1 & 0.9 volts.

What peak injector duty are you getting after a hard run? What's the highest det. reading you've seen since changing.

I've been thinking of fitting the full Apexi Super Suction kit but it's for the Z32 afm's like you've got which are over £200 each over here, made it unviable at this stage. :(

Peter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huge power gain when running at about 80mph going to say 140 Mph! I'm at about 85 % injector duty or somewhere close to it, and the knock is not that bad, maybe 15 % off of normal, enough to have the check engine light flicker at me. If you want I'm sure I can find a couple more of these 300 z mass air sensors over here, can send them to you. They really only cost about 150 dollars for both, with shipping to me. Couple more dollars to you. You'll need to take the four screws off of the side and pop the top off the Mass air's for your car and unsolder the four tabs for your connector, and transfix it to the z32afm so your wiring will hook up. The rubber tubes can be stretched over the end of the z32afm, but the attachment for the air filter is something that will need some finessing, that is what took me the longest time, drilling the new holes in my aluminum adaptor for the steel mess air filters I have. Not expensive, just a little time consuming.
Otherwise, seems that I am ok according to you guys, with just changing the Apexi setting to the VG30 setting then?
H.:smokin:

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
You really don't ever want to see the 'check engine' light flash at you. It will flash at you if you're maxing out the injectors as well as when det. reaches 60+ on the 100 scale. See how the new setting helps. To take full advantage of the new afm's, sounds like you need new induction pipes to the increased diameter...?

They're only meant to make around 10bhp difference on their own but with a larger diameter induction kit, who knows..?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems like more, but more air is probably what I am needing at my altitude anyway. I will look into piping, but will anyone have piping for stock turbos attaching to AG30 arms'?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts