GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have got myself some forged pistons for my R33 gtst and i was wondering if someone would be able to tell me if the engine needs to be removed from the car to fit them or can the bottom end be dropped out for installation?
Any info would be appreciated.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
You can do it by removing the head and sump. The proper way would be to remove the engine and get the bores honed them re-build it remembering where the shells went.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If your going to the trouble of putting forged pistons in it should have a complete strip, hone the bores, new bearings etc... to be honest, if your asking how to do it, IMHO you shouldn't be doing it.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
In total agreement with Cord, fitting new pistons to used bores, in situ is something that went out with side valve Ford engines during the war years. Disaster in the making...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, @r32 combat, thanks for the info.
@cord, I have plenty of experience at building engines, eg. I have built honda B-series engines using Spoon internals. I was just asking a simple question, i am new to 6 cylinder engines, i thought i would maybe get some basic helpful advise on this matter. For a start i never said it was going to be me that carried out the work on this or the extent of work to be done, so I would appreciate if you kept your opinions to factual, rather than casting aspersions against someones mechanical ability. Just because I am new to a forum, it does not mean that I know nothing about mechanics. I have been viewing this forum for some time and I got the impression that it is somewhere that a person could ask an honest question without being made feel inferior by someone second guessing a person's ability.
Again, my thanks to anyone who actually wants to help with the original question.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If you have plenty of experience of building engines then you will know that the bores would require honing and the only way to do this is to remove the engine. My opinoins on engine building are VERY factual, gained through experience of building dozens of skyline engines.

Sorry if my answer offended you by not being the one you wanted to hear.

cord

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Slaine,

I'm with Cord here, if you had to ask the question you were in need of help and Cord was kind enough to offer it.

None of us have all the experience we require to tackle all the jobs we would like done, and a job carried out by inexperienced hands may need to be done twice, only it costs heaps more to rectify a blown engine than to install pistons in one needing a re-build.

Chill and accept good advice, no one was having a go you were IMHO receiving good and fair advice from someone that has built more Skyline engines than just about anyone in the UK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts