GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Unfortunately I had an accident a few weeks back which will almost certainly have written my car off. There is extensive front end, roof and near side rear damage, all airbags deployed and all glass smashed. The car crossed a raised kerbed central reservation and across the opposite dual carriageway leaving the tarmac crashing into Some trees.
My question is has anyone been unfortunate enough to be in this position of having a written off car and what generally do the insurance companies offer? I've heard that the insurance companies offer the least price which concerns me as I probably won't be able to replace the car like for like. The car was a 2009 black edition s-a, 65000miles with full service history, 3 owners and in standard form (no performance upgrades). I had fitted a Y pipe in preparation to get the car to level 1 on its 66000mile service at Litchfield.
Looking around to replace with a non tuned standard car with similar mileage the prices vary dramatically. My insurance is fully comp with 9yrs protected no claims bonus. What sort of insurance hike will the insurance company slap on me for making a claim?
Anyone any advice how to handle / what stance to take with the insurance company?
Many thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Yikes, sounds like a bit of an accident! :eek:

I've been in a similar situation, some **** dropped debris from an uncovered trailer in front of me before turning off. I went a different way to him (to avoid getting a puncture...) and about half a mile later I was going sideways into a tree at 48mph after a nail had ripped into ny back tyre, destroying my beloved R33 GTR in the process and nearly killing me. :(

I was in hospital at the time (this was nearly 8 years ago) and they rang me while i was still bed bound and came up with this: "We can get a car like yours for £6500" - the market at the time was rock bottom for Skylines, even R34's... It wasn't until I told their assessor I had an agreed value policy and like for like replacement of all my parts that they quickly changed their tune and paid up in full! :mad:

If they offer you stupid money for your car, tell them you want a replacement instead. While market values may differ greatly, so will the condition of cars! Who are you insured with?

I hope you get it sorted out soon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes, sounds like a bit of an accident! :eek:

I've been in a similar situation, some **** dropped debris from an uncovered trailer in front of me before turning off. I went a different way to him (to avoid getting a puncture...) and about half a mile later I was going sideways into a tree at 48mph after a nail had ripped into ny back tyre, destroying my beloved R33 GTR in the process and nearly killing me. :(

I was in hospital at the time (this was nearly 8 years ago) and they rang me while i was still bed bound and came up with this: "We can get a car like yours for £6500" - the market at the time was rock bottom for Skylines, even R34's... It wasn't until I told their assessor I had an agreed value policy and like for like replacement of all my parts that they quickly changed their tune and paid up in full! :mad:

If they offer you stupid money for your car, tell them you want a replacement instead. While market values may differ greatly, so will the condition of cars! Who are you insured with?

I hope you get it sorted out soon.
Thanks, I'm insured through LV ( Liverpool Victoria).

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Hi all.
Unfortunately I had an accident a few weeks back which will almost certainly have written my car off. There is extensive front end, roof and near side rear damage, all airbags deployed and all glass smashed. The car crossed a raised kerbed central reservation and across the opposite dual carriageway leaving the tarmac crashing into Some trees.
My question is has anyone been unfortunate enough to be in this position of having a written off car and what generally do the insurance companies offer? I've heard that the insurance companies offer the least price which concerns me as I probably won't be able to replace the car like for like. The car was a 2009 black edition s-a, 65000miles with full service history, 3 owners and in standard form (no performance upgrades). I had fitted a Y pipe in preparation to get the car to level 1 on its 66000mile service at Litchfield.
Looking around to replace with a non tuned standard car with similar mileage the prices vary dramatically. My insurance is fully comp with 9yrs protected no claims bonus. What sort of insurance hike will the insurance company slap on me for making a claim?
Anyone any advice how to handle / what stance to take with the insurance company?
Many thanks in advance.
Ultimately, see what they offer and then counter offer them by providing links as close to what your car was at the time.

Unfortunately, there are lower mileage examples out there for low 30's now, so they will likely want to make a betterment reduction, but given there are cars up for sale at 65k+ miles (https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/gt-r/nissan-gt-r-3-8-v6-premium-4wd-2dr/8958918) you might get offered an amount to get you into a lower mileage car regardless.

Personally, if they offer you anything over 32-33k take their arms off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ultimately, see what they offer and then counter offer them by providing links as close to what your car was at the time.

Unfortunately, there are lower mileage examples out there for low 30's now, so they will likely want to make a betterment reduction, but given there are cars up for sale at 65k+ miles (https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/gt-r/nissan-gt-r-3-8-v6-premium-4wd-2dr/8958918) you might get offered an amount to get you into a lower mileage car regardless.

Personally, if they offer you anything over 32-33k take their arms off.

PS, my car might fit you perfectly: https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/gt-r/stunning-rare-titanium-nissan-gt-r-litchfield-stage-1--must-see-car/9325089

hashtag shameless plug
Nice car and colour combination. I have a feeling they will offer less than 30k which won't get me much in the r35 market but I'll have to see. Is there such a thing as book value or do they go of market value??? Never claimed like this before and don't want them having my pants down! I have another 4 vehicles all insured so I pay good money annually and would like to think I'll be treated fairly. Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Nice car and colour combination. I have a feeling they will offer less than 30k which won't get me much in the r35 market but I'll have to see. Is there such a thing as book value or do they go of market value??? Never claimed like this before and don't want them having my pants down! I have another 4 vehicles all insured so I pay good money annually and would like to think I'll be treated fairly. Thanks for your input.

They will first offer you book value, but just fight back and say you cant buy any GTR for that money and provide links.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They will first offer you book value, but just fight back and say you cant buy any GTR for that money and provide links.
Thanks for the advice.

Hard finding a non abused or non modified car. Most seem to have broken history, had stages 1 to 4.5 already done which makes me suspicious of how hard it's been driven ( I know they are built to be fast but I have the thoughts that if someone is taking the car beyond standard power it means it's had a thrashing in standard form... just my view) or they have been wrapped to the owners taste ( not a fan of wraps but do see the appeal). I'll just have to wait and see what they offer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here's my experience when my other half wrote off her Nissan Juke..

She had a pretty bad accident which broke her ankle and we got offered a really low price... £3k below the current market value.

I turned them down and told them we were in no rush to settle because she couldn't drive another car for at least 8 months. I sent them links of equivalent cars on the market.

Two days later we got a call accepting our offer.

These parasites take your money each year but run away when it's time to fess up. I reckon they weighed up the cost of salvage storage (they can't sell until you settle) and paid up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's my experience when my other half wrote off her Nissan Juke..

She had a pretty bad accident which broke her ankle and we got offered a really low price... £3k below the current market value.

I turned them down and told them we were in no rush to settle because she couldn't drive another car for at least 8 months. I sent them links of equivalent cars on the market.

Two days later we got a call accepting our offer.

These parasites take your money each year but run away when it's time to fess up. I reckon they weighed up the cost of salvage storage (they can't sell until you settle) and paid up.

Good luck.
Thanks for that advice, I'm in no hurry to settle either as I have a couple of other cars to drive in the meantime so I may take that approach.

·
R35 Section manager
10,707 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

Hard finding a non abused or non modified car. Most seem to have broken history, had stages 1 to 4.5 already done which makes me suspicious of how hard it's been driven ( I know they are built to be fast but I have the thoughts that if someone is taking the car beyond standard power it means it's had a thrashing in standard form... just my view) or they have been wrapped to the owners taste ( not a fan of wraps but do see the appeal). I'll just have to wait and see what they offer.

Mine is for sale on here.
It's had stage 2 mods added but never mapped so its standard power as I wanted the reliability.
Serviced every 6 months with all receipts.

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts
First things first glad you are ok and not hurt, as for the insurance they will probably offer you around 28-32k if your lucky simply because of the mileage. Never accept the first offer as they tend to low ball you because they think your desperate for the cash to get back on the road. Fight it out because I reckon they'll offer you less than 28k to start with but best advice is go on Auto Trader, piston heads get some similar year, mileage cars and print the ads off and forward them to the insurance company. It happened to me many years ago where an idiot in a rover tomcat went into the back of my R33 and writ it off and my car was mint and I mean mint and I'd only had the car for 2weeks, the insurance tried to offer me 9k plus the car back, I told them I don't want the money I want like for like replacement, so I printed a few off and the nearest one in condition to mine was 13995 so they agreed to 13500 and the car back. It took a few weeks but was worth it in the end.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You should have taken out a agreed valuation with your insurance company I have a 2010 version with agreed value of £45k

Bobby

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You should have taken out a agreed valuation with your insurance company I have a 2010 version with agreed value of £45k

Bobby
At the time of taking the insurance out I had travelled 200 miles and was stood with the car so just did a quote online and took it out with one of the more competitive companies that quoted. Hindsight is a great thing, if only I'd known you could do an agreed value.

Thanks for your input. Brett

·
Vendor
6,195 Posts
At the time of taking the insurance out I had travelled 200 miles and was stood with the car so just did a quote online and took it out with one of the more competitive companies that quoted. Hindsight is a great thing, if only I'd known you could do an agreed value.

Thanks for your input. Brett
You can't with most insurance companies, it's only either classic car insurance or very special ones most companies don't offer that service you will only receive market value in most cases. Don't beat yourself up over it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Another option that might help the numbers stack up is a cash in leiu payment towards your damage. You get a chunk of money and then you could sell the car to a GT-R breakers.

Bit of a faff, but when I damaged my old scooby this is the route it took and it worked out great. The car had over 100k miles so selling it would have been tricky, the combined payout was 20% over what I would have got.

This wasn't written off though, so not sure how it works if your car is a category that has to be taken off the road? Worth bearing in mind though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
2 years ago I totalled my 59 plate put it in the middle of a field in North Wales
I was Hastings at the time no agreed value
I had paid 42k for my car had owned it for a year when the accident took place and Hastings paid out 40k
First they said the book price was 30k this I refused and they asked what I would accept
I spoke with them and they said they had checked Auto trader and Pistonheads and GTR's with similar millage pre accident condition and service history to mine where fetching 40k so that's what they offered and I accepted I found them sound and fair to deal with.
Hope your claim goes well because they should offer you enough to replace the car you have written off

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another option that might help the numbers stack up is a cash in leiu payment towards your damage. You get a chunk of money and then you could sell the car to a GT-R breakers.

Bit of a faff, but when I damaged my old scooby this is the route it took and it worked out great. The car had over 100k miles so selling it would have been tricky, the combined payout was 20% over what I would have got.

This wasn't written off though, so not sure how it works if your car is a category that has to be taken off the road? Worth bearing in mind though.
Thanks for that advice not sure there will be much salvageable from the car apart from the brakes, engine and gearbox. The body was pretty messed up, all glass broken, dented roof, no front end up to the engine and all air bags deployed. GT-Rs will always lose against trees however the cabin stayed intact and I firmly believe if I was in a lesser built car my son and I wouldn't be here so hats off to Nissan for build of the GT-R in respects of safety.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2 years ago I totalled my 59 plate put it in the middle of a field in North Wales
I was Hastings at the time no agreed value
I had paid 42k for my car had owned it for a year when the accident took place and Hastings paid out 40k
First they said the book price was 30k this I refused and they asked what I would accept
I spoke with them and they said they had checked Auto trader and Pistonheads and GTR's with similar millage pre accident condition and service history to mine where fetching 40k so that's what they offered and I accepted I found them sound and fair to deal with.
Hope your claim goes well because they should offer you enough to replace the car you have written off
My stance will be to send links of all available 09 plated cars for sale and hopefully they can see the difference in range. The hard part is finding ones that haven't been wrapped, modified and have full service history. There are a lot of tired ones out there that have been poorly maintained which unfortunately pushes the values down due to people lowering the price to sell. I will just have to await the insurance companies offer and take it from there. Hopefully they will be sensible... I only want a replacement of near like for like.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts