GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment, and I need YOUR help :)

So For like the last 6 years I've dreamed of owning a skyline, and I've just nearly got 6k, with ALOT of saving, I want the Gtr R34, At this point you're probably thinking, well he doesn't quite have enough really, I know that it's not really a problem because er I have 6 months 'til I'm 17 anyway. So now you can probably see my car, I'm fairly sure I'll be able to afford the car by the time I've actually passed my test haha, So you can probably see my problem, a 17 year old driver just passed his test wanting to insure a GTR, er yeah "/! What should I do, Buy one and keep it in the garage as a project? Buy another car, I.e. celica or something as it's a far lower insurance group ( 'cos it's a far worse car ). Thing is I don't fancy wasting my money on any other car "/.

Is this the end to my skyline dreams??? :sadwavey::sadwavey:

I HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES :(

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Not even 17 and no licence yet? Your insurance on something like KA will probably be £2k. No one will touch you on a Skyline.

Get a cheap car and build your NCB and experience mate.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Not even 17 and no licence yet? Your insurance on something like KA will probably be £2k. No one will touch you on a Skyline.

Get a cheap car and build your NCB and experience mate.
As the man says...

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
keep the dream alive just as above get some experience first for a while , go through a few cars and bulid your way up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nobody likes insurance companies but sometimes they get it right, a GTR in the hands of a 17yr old isn't going to last 17 minutes, it's really for your own good. I owned and driven a few "fast" cars in the past but good god nothing can really prepare you for how quick these cars are.
It took me over 15 years to get my dream parked in the drive, and so far still have the car in one bit, my license and my life.
If i was you get a boring cheap everyday car with tow bar and r32 gtr for a track car and learn to drive it in its natural habitat :p

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Took me till i was 28 to insure one,my lads 18 he was quoted 2k to insure a 1.4 ford festa.
Id say 17 no ncb on a £20k plus car easily 4k :bawling: but thats the way it is im afraid,build your ncb first but be warned when u come to insure a skyline your insurance will be high cos it will be ur first (PROPER)high performance car untill u get some experience as was mine but id driven turbo'd 7 seater vxr and gsi and mine was still dearer. Good Luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah okay, you guy's are right haha, I liked the idea of the tow bar and r32.

the only other two cars I can think to buy are an audi A3 and a Mini :p

The audi's a lovely car and the mini, means i can save the money for the GTR. If i'm lucky this recession might just mean the prices drop :p

anyway thanks for your help guys

And actually no, trying to be smart and all kids go back to school on different days in different counties, lincolnshire ( uk ) went back on tuesday, and I don't go to school mate so (Y).

·
Super Moderator
15,881 Posts
Just buy cheap cars you don't care about, avoid the bodykit/exhaust scene and keep saving your money and building the NCB. It all comes to those who wait.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wouldn't bother, get yourself something cheap to have fun ragging about in for your first year (spend less than a grand), get third party insurance as it wont be worth getting fully comp. When you get your first years NCB, sell your first car for almost what you paid for it then start looking at Starlet 1.3 Turbos, drive one of those for a couple of years and then move to a Skyline - job done :)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I wouldn't bother, get yourself something cheap to have fun ragging about in for your first year (spend less than a grand), get third party insurance as it wont be worth getting fully comp. When you get your first years NCB, sell your first car for almost what you paid for it then start looking at Starlet 1.3 Turbos, drive one of those for a couple of years and then move to a Skyline - job done :)
id do that aswell:thumbsup: going from a low insurance group straight to a group 20 will kill the purse strings im afraid so go for a crappy car then a glanza/starlet get sum experience under ya belt first.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I went for the seven seater cos ive got a large family and 2.0ltr 240hp 200lb ft torque is fappin quick plus you dont get the hassle of the "five 0" cos ur a respectable father figure(yeah right....:D)

·
Registered
26,126 Posts
as the guys say above...

saying that my little bro (21) has the money sat there for a new DB9 but he cant get insurance lmao...so we going for an EVO7 for a bit insurance depending...

i do agree go for a starlet or something, but you need to get some driving experience behind you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well my dad's in prison so that he doesn't drive alot ;)

anyway, moving on, yeah I think i'll buy a mini, I mean who doesn't love a mini, but i'll still buy a nice R33 GTR Vspec, and maybe take it to a private airfield on a trailer ( not towed by the mini ;) ) for a bit of fun. As soon as I can afford to buy the R33 that is, after the mini and it's insurance, thanks for the help, you guy's are really helpful :). I WILL OWN A GTR!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts