GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone tell the insurance about EVERY little mod that they made or can you miss out things like alloys and stickers? My old man thinks that everyone that owns a highly tuned GTR doesn't bother telling the insurers about the mods, please please can sombody get through to his brain and make changes to it:p

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Isurance declaretions

I have declared ALL the mods ,on my insurance policy due to the fact that if I should ever,in the unfortunate instance , have to claim ,I do not want to jeopardize my claim for the sake of say 10% increase in premium.
Hope it helps .:)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think it depends on the mods. Personally I tell them about everything but I am naive and honest:)

The problem lies with how the insurance compnay view the mods. For example alloys and a bosy kit make the car more knickable. If it gets knicked and they find out about it they may not pay out as they were taking abigger risk than they thought. On the flip side you are taking a bigger risk too, if your alloys get knicked don't expect the insurer to pay out for them if you don't tell them. As Nismo alloys are over £5000 a set I would tell them.

I think the grey bit is things like cams and chips, i.e things you can't see. I think you could probably get away with it but if you write the car off due to a high speed crash I think in the case of performance cars they may randomly check what's left of your engine.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
the most obvious mod on a car is the alloys, so it is best to admit to having them...same goes for the exhaust....it is more difficult on engine internals to establish whats what....and there is where your choice lies.....declare them and have peace of mind...or have a very good mechanic friend that can whip them out before the engineer from the insurance company comes to inspect your car...as I work in insurance, I have kicked out claims on the basis of non disclosure and the person has not received a penny and has a wrecked car to boot.....not a nice thing to do, but, you takes your choice.....

·
Registered
637 Posts
I agree with Tiggs, to a certain degree. Insurance is based on "utmost good faith", which means you are obliged to tell the insurance company what you know about the modifications to your car.
The visual elements have to be declared, such as after-market exhaust, wheels, bodykit, even things like air filters which are obviously not standard.
When it comes to the internal workings of the engine such as cranks, rods, pistons, injectors, cams and the like, how are we supposed to know about these things if we have bought the car second-hand, with no real clue as to what has been done.

Do assessors go to the trouble of stripping an engine and researching what should be there and what shouldn't?

I have been reasonably honest with my insurance company, but I don't really know whats inside my engine, and I'm not going to take it apart just to find out.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've not told them about the alloys, but as far as I am concerned I bought the car with them on and how do I know if they are standard or not.....

I mean I am paying them enough anyway!!! The engines standard what more do they want BLOOD!!

I would tell them about obvious mods though, I just dont think that the 17 inch wheels are worth bothering with really, yes they look nice but it would only cost 750 to replace, and my xs is £500, so whats the point???

Draxx

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Point

I just dont think that the 17 inch wheels are worth bothering with really, yes they look nice but it would only cost 750 to replace, and my xs is £500, so whats the point???
The point is as follows.

EG your car gets stolen, and is found in a pretty bad shape. Your insurance company come to look at it, and see the wheels are not standard. This makes your car look pretty and thus more attractive to be stolen, so premium goes up. Because you didnt tell them this they wont have to give you anything.

I think you might also get into trouble then with the police, as your insurance was void which means you had been driving without any.

Cheers
Lee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts