GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am getting all my research done before I pull the trigger in a few weeks,

I was just on Moneysupermarket and got a few quotes using reg numbers from autotrader.

Now does anyone know why it would cost more to insure a 2012 than a 2014? Seems weird to me as the 2014 is £10k more expensive.

The cheapest quotes are from Churchills.

2014 is £581
2012 is £596

Both cars unmodded, and the same details given.

Now I know its only £15 but shouldn't the 2012 be cheaper, is the reason because it's faster / easier to steal LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
So i am getting all my research done before I pull the trigger in a few weeks,

I was just on Moneysupermarket and got a few quotes using reg numbers from autotrader.

Now does anyone know why it would cost more to insure a 2012 than a 2014? Seems weird to me as the 2014 is £10k more expensive.

The cheapest quotes are from Churchills.

2014 is £581
2012 is £596

Both cars unmodded, and the same details given.

Now I know its only £15 but shouldn't the 2012 be cheaper, is the reason because it's faster / easier to steal LOL!
No idea why the older car was more expensive, however both quotes look good!
I doubt if you would get much cheaper.

Be aware that many companies insist on a tracker which if its not on the car you will have to buy plus pay an annual sub. I have a cobra tracker which cost 1k fitted from Nissan and £215 pa.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea why the older car was more expensive, however both quotes look good!
I doubt if you would get much cheaper.

Be aware that many companies insist on a tracker which if its not on the car you will have to buy plus pay an annual sub. I have a cobra tracker which cost 1k fitted from Nissan and £215 pa.
sorry for posting in the wrong section.

You just put in the car reg and it automatically brings the car up, both came up as not having a tracker.

Funny thing as well at the beginning of the month a 63 plate was only £523, me thinks they be pulling figures from there arse lol!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello world - this is my first post on GTR.co.uk

I've just gone through the same process - my MY14 gets delivered on Saturday.

The dealer at my local NHPC recommended Admiral.
I got an admiral quote through a comparison site: £700
Then I went direct to admiral web site: £450
On a roll, I then tried direct line: £380 incl business class 1 cover

That's after 6pts (2x speeding) and a non-fault claim.
FWIW, Tracker not required for either of these companies, but it's your call whether you want to take the risk of going "naked"!

Hopefully this might save you a few £££s.

Good luck,
Neil.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello world - this is my first post on GTR.co.uk

I've just gone through the same process - my MY14 gets delivered on Saturday.

The dealer at my local NHPC recommended Admiral.
I got an admiral quote through a comparison site: £700
Then I went direct to admiral web site: £450
On a roll, I then tried direct line: £380 incl business class 1 cover

That's after 6pts (2x speeding) and a non-fault claim.
FWIW, Tracker not required for either of these companies, but it's your call whether you want to take the risk of going "naked"!

Hopefully this might save you a few £££s.

Good luck,
Neil.
Thanks Neil

I wouldnt go back to Admiral, I had them on my last GTR, then got a C63 which they charged the same for.

I got stopped in Bristol in the Benz, and stuck in the back of a police car then threatened to have the car seized.

All because I took out a multicar insurance policy and they forgot to update there system.

Had to make a call and luckily the call centre sorted it.

I sold my C63 2 months ago as I new I was going to get another GTR once the right one came up, so I have been driving the wife's Fiat 500.

I called them to get a quote for that and they wanted to charge me the same as a GTR lol, no claims, no points nothing.

Some crap about my area I live might of changed!

Going with direct line myself as well, did you call them or do it on there website neil?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Website first, but couldn't complete online as the car wasn't yet registered so didn't have a registration number.
So completed over the phone when I got my new registration number.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I think the different relates to the profiling of the drivers and previous claims against that car. The R35 seems to have generally been well driven / owned and as such there haven't been many insurance claims, resulting in competitive premiums for what the car is.

As for why the 2014 is cheaper than the 2012, I guess it has something to do with even fewer claims against the 2014 and the basis that if you can afford the 2014 and don't have a history of claims, then you are even more likely to be sensible out on the road and less of a risk.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I just sorted my insurance out with Privilege for £536 as I collect my car tomorrow.

I thought I would have a quick look to see if I could get it any cheaper, used the Direct Line website and it came out at £650.

The funny thing is I used Money Super Market again and the exact same policy I paid £536 for had changed to £706?

I really would love to know how these systems work, because they seem totally random lol.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
So I just sorted my insurance out with Privilege for £536 as I collect my car tomorrow.

I thought I would have a quick look to see if I could get it any cheaper, used the Direct Line website and it came out at £650.

The funny thing is I used Money Super Market again and the exact same policy I paid £536 for had changed to £706?

I really would love to know how these systems work, because they seem totally random lol.
All just a big scam basically, everytime you change something slightly the price seems to change drastically.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crazy thing is, no details where changed, only the day I requested the quote.

Literally all details are stored by money supermarket, car and personal history not changed 1 iota.

Just for ref Evo, I only have 2 years no claims, as I was abroad previously, 2 years ago I was paying admiral North of £950.

I also noticed compare the market where £300 more expensive than money supermarket!

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Ive just re newed with Pace Ward, £743 for my stage 5 MY2010 plus the wifes focus. Very happy with that!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts