GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone. iv just bought my r33 gtr only to find the intercooler has a bust hole in it. as i am going to be replacing it, i am wondering whether to fit another standard unit or put a bit extra and get and uprated one? baring in mind the car only has a hks exhaust and hks filters. is it worth while and would there be any advantages? and also if i do what make should i go for, considering that i am on a bit of a budget.any advice would be great.cheers

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
no real reason to go bigger other than bling - the standard cooler on the GTR is good for up to 600bhp apparently.

Simon

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
As stated above, the standard GTR Intercooler is good for 600bhp, there is no reason to upgrade. If you phone one of the traders they may have a replacement in stock

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeh thats wot i thort but iv spoken 2 a few tuners and they told me that its always worth upgrading the intercooler.im confused.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Yes they probably will because they will be selling it to you.
Put it this way, the Mines car which was approx 580 - 600 bhp ran on the standard intercooler.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
very true.a few tuners hav bin tryin to sell me a hks unit for like a grand.so u recon i should stick with a standard unit?just iv seen a gtc intercooler for like 350?are they any good?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
very true.a few tuners hav bin tryin to sell me a hks unit for like a grand.so u recon i should stick with a standard unit?just iv seen a gtc intercooler for like 350?are they any good?
Look its up to you, but i have it on extremely good authority that the standard intercooler is good for upto 600bhp.
What horse power are you running?
Because moving to a larger intercooler you`ll just be spending unneccesary money and causing more turbo lag.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Put it this way, the Mines car which was approx 580 - 600 bhp ran on the standard intercooler.
__________________:sadwavey: SORRY BUT..has anyone looked at the front of the MINES GTR? That intercooler is a long way from standard it looks 6" deep!
WHY would MINES use a standard intercooler with modified 2530's?

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Intercooler can do 650bhp without doubt (was made for GrpA homologation where the stock intercooler HAS to be kept), but has anyone actually CHECKED the intercooler outlet temps?

Just cause something can do that power dont mean you cant get more with a better one.

It may be fine, it may not, but guessing isnt going to get people anywhere.

The lack of investigation into things in this scene astounds me sometimes, esp as a charge temp gauge will cost you about 40quid and take minutes to install.

Anything over 40degC when on a flat out run is ok but can be improved upon.
Anything above 60degC certainly could do with an upgrade.
Anything above 80degC is dogshite and clearly cant cope.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Steve

What do you think of the standard charge temp sensor on the front of the inlet manifold?

My feeling is it isn't in a particularly good position to measure the charge temp, and it is very prone to heat soak from the surrounding metal work.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Steve

What do you think of the standard charge temp sensor on the front of the inlet manifold?

My feeling is it isn't in a particularly good position to measure the charge temp, and it is very prone to heat soak from the surrounding metal work.
I agree,
I was thinking of moving mine to the HKS intercooler pipe, just on the other side of the rubber(lower down).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts