GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
The time taked for the air to reach the plenum from the turbo may be quicker due to the hoses not expanding. Personally, I don't think you would ever notice the difference.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
any tricks to keeping the stock pipes from blowing off under high boost?

My gut says that any expansion (and how much will those burly rubber pipes honestly stretch over a mere 2 bar of pressure??) would be negated by increased heat transmission from the turbos all the way through the now-metallicized intake tract. Them turbos are hot, and the more they're isolated, the better!

·
Registered
832 Posts
But the aluminum hardpipes also absorb the heat generated by the pressurised air from the turbos themselves. Couldn't they then hypothetically lower your intake temps ???:chuckle:

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think its to do with the pipes flexing and squashing upsetting the flow of air to the engine etc under extreme boost settings and then changing gear so swinging from say 2bar back to -1bar. Also the rubber could eventually fatigue and split under this type of pressure cycle.

Oh they look nice tho ;-)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I think it is peace of mind having nice strong pipes tuked away behind the bumper and the fact the ones in the engine bay look nice!
Have to be running mega boost to notice any performance benefits.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Those who've had a intercooler pipe blow off, especially the lower ones behind the bumper, will know its probably better to have a set of hard pipes, knowing that theirs less likelyhood of it blowing off.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So in conclusion i take it that it's mainly for astheticaly for looks, and to stop them from blowing off?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts