GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intercooler queer...

is it possible to install intercooler on non turobed car just for the purpose of making the engine a little less hot. coz my car is a lot hotter than usual. you know, continental cars dont fare off to well in tropical countries...
is there any performance enhancement that i can expect from installing intercoolers on the NA engine?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I don't think you would see a significant gain in performance as the air wouldn't be that hot after passing through the airfilter.

The IC on a turbo model cools the hot air that is heated through the compression process within the turbo.

you could try an ic with water spray to cool the IC down. this may lower the charge temp a bit...

sounds like an excersise in futility to me though.

good luck.

Steve.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the question is, is it posible for me to install an intercooler to a NON turbo car.....

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Yes it is, but what would you be cooling? Seems like you'd be better of installing a water spray system on the rad.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you know, i thought installing an intercooler on a NA engine might help cool the engine a bit. water spray on the radiator. is it like one the stuff that WRC cars have? how much does it usually cost?

to be honest with you guys i dunno a jack shit when it comes to technical...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I think you were talking about the induction temperature rather than the engine temp ?

The engine temperature is regulated by the radiator.

The charge (air fuel mix) temperature is regulated by the IC in a turbo car.

If you mounted an intercooler on the front of a normally aspirated car it would do nothing.

Windchill does not affect inanimate objects. This means that the coldest you are going to ba able to get the air inside the IC down to is that of the ambient air, Which you are sucking in through the air filter. The air is not compressed it is just normal pressure air.

with a waterspray as used in WRC you could cool the IC down to whatever temperature the spray compound (usually an ether solution) evapotates at. But because the charge temperature isn't any higher than the ambient air you would have to have it going all of the time.

to answer your question yes, you could mount an intercooler on your car. but you could also mount wings, the problem is they will both have very little effect.

/Steve

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Get yourself an 82 degC 'tropical' engine thermostat for the block, the entire car will run cooler, simple really, the only time this fails is if the existing rad is on its limit but even then it will help, you should all have one of these fitted every summer and if you go to the 'Ring or race your car, it will add quite a bit to your power output, as the intake temp is 10degrees lower, so there is less 'supplementary heating of the air entering from that huge and expensive IC.

I run an 80C in the summer, and have much less heat trouble than in the past!

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Additionally you can cool the intake of any car by taking the coldest water from the top hose and sending that to the inlet manifold, make it a ' heat dispersion' pipe design and the inlet module can be a further 10degrees cooler, probably adds 10hp.

I have designed a few of these. fitting one to my car this week-end.

FREE-POWER, come and get it!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Would a 10 degree reduction in inlet temperature on a NA car really offer an extra 10bhp?

I thought there was an 'ideal' inlet temp of around 40 degrees, do air intake temps on a NA car often get higher than this?

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Most cars have a water cooled and heated air intake, I don't know whether all cars have this but if it is heated then if you can coll it to as low a temp as possible we all benefit NA and Turbo!

I would guess that lowering the temp this way and running a cooler summer setting for the motor would give at least 10hp in hot weather!

Is the intake chamber on the Skyline heated by way of a water jacket?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i see... so the only way i'm gonna bring the temp down are either a waterspray system or have a cold air intake system installed. whats the best? i hear the Iceman are quite good?

here's a pic of how hot my car is... and i've been driving 10 minutes from a cold start....

Attachments

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
I looked, I changed to 800×600 on a 19" and ...no can't see a damned thing, but I'll take your word for it, can you not fit a tropical thermostat or maybe your rad is not fully functioning, it still flows but is restricted.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Mycroft said:
Is the intake chamber on the Skyline heated by way of a water jacket?
Mycroft,

As far as I know, the intake is not heated on the GT-R apart from through heat soak.

How does changing the thermostat assist in cooling the engine? Surely once it's open, it's open and no benefit will result. The GT-R runs at 80C standard so once it's exceeded that, the thermostat won't play any part. I'm considering upgrading my radiator as it only takes a few laps on track to exceed 100C. I've tried the Water Wetter gunk without any noticeable difference.

McLarenFan,

Do I spy long nails in your picture? Is that you driving? Funny how one assumes people's gender on these boards.... Can't make out the temperature gauge at all.

Peter.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
80deg as standard, that is odd most cars run 90deg, if so then it will be of no value.

The principle being that a great contribution to heat problems is the entire block itself, if you can lower the initial heat within the block, then the remaining heat capacity is greater and the car will run cooler. it would be equivalent to making the system 10% bigger.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mycroft said:
I looked, I changed to 800×600 on a 19" and ...no can't see a damned thing, but I'll take your word for it, can you not fit a tropical thermostat or maybe your rad is not fully functioning, it still flows but is restricted.
really? let me repost...

Attachments

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
At 640×480 and everything turned 'up' on the monitor I can just make out a needle pointing straight up, can't for the life of me remember what that means, the dash M3 I endured has faded from my memory, enlighten me!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why not contact the local BMW crowd and ask what mods they do to the local versions (assuming yours wasn't purchased locally) to take into account the warmer temperatures?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts