GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trust intercooler on my 630hp GTR... It measures around 600x300x75. Its badly dinted at the bottom but still holds pressure and doesn't seem to effect performance - looks crap tho.

RB Motorsport know the car and advised against putting anything other than HKS or GReddy back on it - I can't afford £900+ for a CORE!

Someone has sinse mentioned HDI's but I know nothing other than I don't want to effect performance by putting another/cheaper/heavier one on.

Are there any others out there and some are 5inch Thick!! is this a bad idea to change size or what - cos mine surely isn't that different to a standard one.... or is it?

ELP:runaway:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
know exactly the situation youre in!

except my TRUST cooler was punctured :(

Spoke to richard and he gave same advice, to re core mine it would cost £1100 and a new one was £1200 lol i think not!

managed to find a good HKS replacement for a decent price.

have a word with Dave W and put a wanted post up. My previous cooler was 70mm thick and my replacement is 100mm thick. Havent picked the replacement cooler up but am not expecting any issues i have to admit. Noone has advised me to do anything about it anyway!

Chris

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
While on this subject, I've always wondered what the difference is when spending big money on intercoolers? At the end of the day, they are just a glorified radiator that allows air to flow over the vanes cooling the hotter air travelling through it. What does the bigger money get you?

I can understand bigger money for reliablity with mechanical parts e.g turbos, oil pumps etc but not with an intercooler.

I know many people will probably say "you get what you pay for" but with something so simple.....do you??

BTW, I'm not saying its wrong to spend more....I'm genuinly asking as I dont know

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
my 2p on this is that it seems to be the more expensive the intercooler the more r & d has gone into it, so the more effective the air channeling is through the intercooler, giving the best cooling but without slowing the air down etc increasing turbo lag (the more restrictive the intercooler the longer it takes to get the mass of air to the intake) and the cheaper intercoolers dont cool the air as successfully.

i compared my trust one to an ebay £300 special a mate had when eying up what replacement cooler to get for mine and the difference was out of this world. Let alone the weight! but lets be honest nything like that compared to a £12-1300 intercooler is going to be like comparing chalk and cheese.

But listerofsmeg ran an ebay intercooler (different make to the one i looked at) on his TA car and never had problems with intake temps or anything like that.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
A bit off topic, I know, but can someone explain the thread title to me?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts