GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from: http://www.j-cars.net/news_9.htm

Hot news for all the performance Nissan fans in the UK is word that in an effort to spread appeal across the range, GT-R badged versions of the Almera and forthcoming Primera are being readied for production.
The specification is still in the early days of development, with the Almera model at least 18 months away, but turbo mods and four-wheel drive would all be essential to carry the GT-R tag.
Development work on the cars is being carried out in the UK by Nissan's Technology Centre, indicating how important Japan is now taking the UK performance market. This comes shortly after news that Honda's UK plant will build the new Civic Type R and export to Japan.

glen

·
Registered
805 Posts
Primera GTiR

Glen/Dino

I picked up on this last year, from AutoCar, got nothing from Nissan UK quote "no plans at present to.....", I beleive some work was being done here in the UK by the tuners of their old BTCC cars, found no further info, thought it had been axed....

As an ex Primera eGT owner, I loved the car and the SR20DE engine (used in the Sunny GTiR in turbo form) was excellent !!, 4WD should be great....

I can see the logic, in the UK, nothing between the 200SX and the GTR...we shall see :)

RonS

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I think this is an absolute travesty...

to give the GTR badge to sth else less than a skyline.
GTR belongs on one car alone and one car alone made it famous.
Being an ex GTiR owner I always aspired to the GTR and the GTR only.
What are they doing? Too much renault marketing influence.
Ford have done it with abuse of the RS badge, as well as other manufaturers to attempt to sell Pseudo sports cars.
Bad form Nissan IMHO.

NLW.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
plus

you will not see the use of the RB26 in anything else so why distribute the badge.
Fair enough with the SR20 DET but it ain't the RB26 that's for sure!.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Spot on Nick, I completely agree with your sentiments. Nissan aren't going to worry about us minority now are they.... A complete devaluation of the badge *should* it happen.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Names

Not so sure Nissan won't try to cash in the GTR name like they have on the Skyline name ?

glen

·
Registered
805 Posts
GTR name

I understood that the cars were to bear the GTiR badge, but knowing marketing men it may well end up GTR...

I see the point re devaluing the GTR name, but it'll be a PRIMERA and/or ALMERA GTxx, not a Skyline......or will it ?, who knows

RonS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts