GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Got a bizarre problem with my 33 GTR, intermittantly my speedo stops working, power steering becomes irratic and fueling / ignition seems to go way off.

Only way to get it all working again seems to be to disconnect the ECU and reconnect it, this led me to believe it was a faulty ECU.

I now dont believe this is the case as this morning i run the datascan software on it when it was acting up, all appears to be ok and no faults reported, yet curiously when im doing approx 30mph (obviously no speedo so guessing) the datascan software seems to think in doing around 115mph!

Anyone got any ideas? i'm not even sure where to start tbh so any advice greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

D4T

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The speed convertor could be knackered or a problem exists with the cable? I would check the speedo cable and attachments first. The power steering etc is judged by the speedo input and (I think) on the R33's the ECU, Power Steering and Hicas all have seperate inputs from the speedo signal so if all are going wrong then the speedo signal from the gearbox is wrong and not the ECU.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tend to agree but i dont see why disconnecting the ECU then reconnecting should help? Where Skylines ever limited to 112mph in Japan? it just seems slightly odd that when the ECU thinks im doing 115ish it feels like the ignition is cut pretty much completely.

Thanks a lot :)

D4T

·
Registered
159 Posts
Datascan Software

I don't mean to interrupt your thread, but I have been thinking of getting the Datascan cable and software for my GTR 33 which arrives at the end of August. I was just wondering if you could give me your thoughts and did you order it from those guys in Australia. I would like to order it now so I have it when the car gets here.

Thanks, I hope you find the solution to your problem.

MidNite

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its ok for checking but thats about it tbh, handy to have but mine rarely gets used :) I got mine from ebay from a chap from this forum.

D4T

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the info D4T, I did think that you could do things like advance/retard the timing and make a few other adjustments while it was ruinning the software so you could see the effect it had on the car without making any permanent changes. I guess I need to do a bit more research. Any news on sorting out your problem?

MidNite

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just re-read your thread and as you mention about the Skyline being restricted to 112mph, I thought that they all were and had to have the limiter removed to go beyond this speed. Did you do the speedo conversion yourself or was it done when you bought the car? I think I have read somewhere that it will cut out on you above the 112mph barrier and if the limiter removal is not done properly this can cause some of the problems you are having. I'm sure someone with experience would tell you for sure.

MidNite

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MidNite-D said:
Thanks for the info D4T, I did think that you could do things like advance/retard the timing and make a few other adjustments while it was ruinning the software so you could see the effect it had on the car without making any permanent changes. I guess I need to do a bit more research. Any news on sorting out your problem?

MidNite
Hi, yes you can but it changes the base ignition.... so no good for tuning if that was your plan :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the reply D4T, may just get one anyway as I think it may also work on the FTO GPX we have got in at the moment for the wife. If it shows what is going on with the engine it may be worth just to keep an eye on things.

Regards

MidNite

1 - 9 of 9 Posts