GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
***DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY***​

I made an online enquiry through breakeryard.com for a used gearbox, for a Nissan Skyline R34GTT 2.5 manual 1998.

I received an email reply saying that International Car Spares had a gearbox for the price of £650 + £50 carriage and Vat. A total of £805.

I contacted International Car Spares by telephone and spoke to James Teal, confirming that they did indeed have the correct gearbox for my car in stock. I negotiated the price down to £575 + £50 delivery and carriage, to a total of £718.75

The gearbox was delivered on the 3rd of

November (to the wrong address) and on unwrapping it, I could see that the gearbox was for a GTR 2.6 four wheel drive Skyline and not my GTT 2.5 rear wheel drive.

I contacted Phil Morgan at International Car Spares and told him that the gearbox was wrong and that it was for a four-wheel drive GTR Skyline model. Phil replied that he thought that they were all four-wheel drive and that they had sent the most common gearbox. I informed Phil that the detail I submitted was for an R34GTT 2.5 and that the rear wheel drive model was by far the most common.

Phil then said that they would collect the wrong gearbox AND mine and either match it up, or repair it. I informed Phil that no way were they going to have my old gearbox, as I wanted to have it rebuilt with stronger internal gears for the future. Also knowing the cost of Skyline parts and the long wait for parts to come from Japan, there was no way I was going to have my car off the road for weeks and then be told that they couldn’t, or wouldn’t repair it due to the cost and availability of parts, which would far out weigh the £718.75 I had paid for their gearbox.

I was shocked when Phil then said, well if we don’t get your old gearbox back, we will charge you £300 surcharge anyway!!

Nowhere in the original email about their used gearbox, or the subsequent telephone conversation with their James Teal, was there any mention of it being an exchange gearbox and that a surcharge would apply on the old unit.

After some time or arguing the various points of law and trading standards and Phil stating that they would charge ME a 25% handling fee for their mistake, I asked Phil to come and collect their incorrectly supplied gearbox and refund my credit card in full. I told him that if he did not do so, then I would contact my credit card, trading standards and watchdog. Phil’s reply was “Do it” as they had been there before!!

The gearbox was collected 4th November and delivered back to International Car Spares, which Phil confirmed when I spoke to him by telephone on the 5th of November. I once again asked Phil to refund my credit card in full and he said they would do it on Saturday (7th November) when his boss was in, as they do all the refunds on a Saturday. I asked him if it would be for the full amount and he said he would try.

I have been checking my account online to see if there has been a refund and as of today the 21st of November, there has not been. I telephoned Phil Morgan and asked where my refund was, as it was not showing on my account. Phil replied that it would be done on Saturday. I said that you said it would be done last Saturday and Phil replied that his boss wasn’t in.

To date I am still waiting for a refund, from either International Motor Spares, or Capitol One, my credit card company.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi mate. small world. Remember me. i was dropping my car at rising sun for some work and you were there. Having a few things done your car was on the ramp. Mine was the white R32 gtr and my friend was in a blue R33 gts. Reason I said small world, is I used to deal with them all the time.when they used to be called m.p.l. And they were ok then. Then this. idiot Phil and a few others got me a gearbox for a K11 micra which was siezed. For months I asked him for a new gearbox. And got fed up and told him I want my money back. He said ok I waited and waited and nothing. Then my friend said he would go down there for me as he was going there. He went and talked to phil and got cash even though I had paid card. Never deal with these clowns again. You should contact Sarj at jap performance parts for used parts. Instead of an unknown place like international motor spares

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi yes I do remember you down at RSP :)

I got a perfect used box from JDM Garage, without a surcharge on the old one and it was the right one too.

I have reported these crooks to Oldham trading standards now....

·
Administrator
31,558 Posts
dude

Oldham? Seriously?

A mate of mine bought a gearbox from a place up there last month. they took his money but it never arrived

he chased it for weeks before a friend who was local basically went in there and threatened to burn the place down unless they gave him a refund

they refunded his debit card...

...than 3 days later, took the money out again.:chairshot

mates had to report them to the police, trading standards, HMRC (they charge vat but aren't VAT registered) and reported his card stolen

proper bunch of crooks with form too.

Gearbox + Oldham = nightmare

mook

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have now reported them to Oldham Trading Standards and hopefully if people search on google for International car Spares, they wil see threads like this warning against using them.

I WILL get my money back, but I have better things to spend my time on :(

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still fighting this bunch of crooks.

They have credited my card with just £380.93 on the 21st December........

So back on to Capitol One to remind them of section 75 of the 1974 consumer act and that they are jointly liable for the transaction.

grrrrrr.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it looks like my rather stern letter to Capitol One credit card reminding them that under section 75 of the credit consumer act 1974 that they are jointly liable for this transaction has worked.

I also told them that I would be refering the case to the Financial Ombudsman if it did not reach a satisfactory conclusion.

I checked my credit card balance online today and Capitol One have made a credit "Adjustment" to my balance. It is not a refund from International Car Spares (Motion Power) however, so they can fight it out between them.

What a waste of my time :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
A satisfactory (but not pleasing) result. I wonder if Capital One will get their money back.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did ask Capitol One why they couldn't just do a charge back to Motion Power. They said that they could not do that unless they followed procedures. I asked if they were legal procedures, or their own? They replied that they were procedure laid down by MasterCard.

I had to furnish them with a written statement from the mechanic that the gearbox delivered was incorrect and would not fit my model of Skyline.

I assume that now they have the proof, they have made a charge back. I have yet to get any written correspondence from Capitol One though......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts